Technique-- Sor Estudio 2

TheStoveMan

• Members

Hey guys, anyone know Estudio 2 from Twenty Sor Studies (by Segovia)?

I'm having trouble making the jump from the C-sharp diminished barre chord to the D-minor(F bass note) in the fourth to last measure and third to last respectively.

The fingerings aren't explicitly marked for the C-sharp diminished chord, but I assumed second finger to play the G in the bass and third to play the B-flat... and the barre doesn't really need to go across all six strings, right?

Any insight is appreciated :wave:

• Members

The fingerings aren't explicitly marked for the C-sharp diminished chord, but I assumed second finger to play the G in the bass and third to play the B-flat... and the barre doesn't really need to go across all six strings, right?

You're right, you don't have to do a full barre, but the advantage of doing so is that then your first finger is very close to where it needs to be to play the low F in the next chord.

Great tune and exercise, eh? :)

• Members

You're right, you don't have to do a full barre, but the advantage of doing so is that then your first finger is very close to where it needs to be to play the low F in the next chord.

Great tune and exercise, eh?
:)

Yup, thanks!

I notice that it puts the first finger in the right place if you do a full barre, so I'll do it that way.

Also I guess second and third fingers for the C# diminished does make sense... I just have to play it more like I would a chord change. Previously I was trying to set down the F and the A first, I think I'm kind of distracted by the fact that there's a melody line and movement going on, but I'll get it :cool:

This book is full of great material, seriously! I almost think I should work on mastering all of this before I move to much of anything else...

• Members

By the way should I go all the way through the book in order, or skip around?

I actually started with #2 but I'm going to do #1 next and could do the rest in order...

It does seem at least somewhat progressive.

They are, more or less, more difficult as you go through those 20 studies. The second group of 10 are significantly more challenging than the first group of 10. Keep in mind that these pieces were compiled by Anres Segovia. F. Sor did not compose them together. There are hundreds of very good to excellent classical period pieces for guitar, all of which are simple to intermediate in difficulty. Carcassi, Aguado, Carulli, Giuliani, as well as Sor, were all quite prolific.

• Members

They are, more or less, more difficult as you go through those 20 studies. The second group of 10 are significantly more challenging than the first group of 10. Keep in mind that these pieces were compiled by Anres Segovia. F. Sor did not compose them together. There are hundreds of very good to excellent classical period pieces for guitar, all of which are simple to intermediate in difficulty. Carcassi, Aguado, Carulli, Giuliani, as well as Sor, were all quite prolific.

Thanks! I'm familiar with all of those names as there were some mostly short/easy pieces by each of them in the first set of classical pieces I dabbled in.

In addition to the Sor studies have a couple of books of Agustin Barrios stuff, and some Chopin pieces transcribed for guitar (which, upon first crack, are harder than they look!).

I'm especially interested in learning Aguado stuff, I've set Rondo in A from Tres Rondos Briliantes as sort of a long term goal.

• Members

Regarding the Segovia 20 Sor Studies, I'd skip around and see what you like. Playing Number 1 correctly is actually somewhat difficult! Number 5 is a classic, it was even used as background music for a TV commercial!

Which Barrios are you playing? The guy was pure genius, and most of his pieces are on the difficult side. A nice collection of pieces for intermediate level repertoire is contained in Christopher Parkening's method book, volume 2.

• Members

Regarding the Segovia 20 Sor Studies, I'd skip around and see what you like. Playing Number 1 correctly is actually somewhat difficult! Number 5 is a classic, it was even used as background music for a TV commercial!

Which Barrios are you playing? The guy was pure genius, and most of his pieces are on the difficult side. A nice collection of pieces for intermediate level repertoire is contained in Christopher Parkening's method book, volume 2.

I was working on Vals Op. 8 No. 4 (that's the song that got me into Barrios) but I'm finding the Lento and Campanella sections to be pretty tough, so I set it aside for now...

• Members

I was working on Vals Op. 8 No. 4 (that's the song that got me into Barrios) but I'm finding the Lento and Campanella sections to be pretty tough, so I set it aside for now...

Yup, that's a great one, also not easy.

I really love 'Julia Florida' and 'Choro da Saudade'. The latter has some MONSTER stretches in it, but oh, it such a great piece!

Archived