How bullet-proof are composite guitars?

Berkleo

• Members

from CA's web page:

FYI

Although carbon fiber is an incredibly strong and resistant aerospace material, this product is intended to be used as a musical instrument only. This product is not intended for use as a battering ram, billy club, baseball bat, boat paddle, personal transport (such as a toboggan), body armor, pool float, projectile (human or mechanically powered), aircraft component or geostationary satellite (unless inside spacecraft). This warranty is VOID if the Composite Acoustics product has been used in any of these ways.

Composite Acoustics guitars are designed to give you a lifetime of trouble-free service. Carbon fiber construction is very forgiving, but just like any guitar, taking care of your instrument is essential.

What you need

Day to day care is easy. All you need is a soft cloth and some type of automotive polish or wax. The life of guitar strings will vary from player to player, but keeping them clean with a separate cloth and changing them regularly will give you the most out of your guitar. If a pickup system is installed on your guitar, refer to the pickup manufacturer

• Members

As I'm sure you already know, carbon fiber is used to make car body parts, such as hoods, that withstand engine heat, direct sunlight, snow, rain, etc. - anything a metal hood can take. Pretty tough stuff. They can still be damaged, but it takes a lot to do so.

I would call the factory and ask 'em. If they say you can leave it in a hot or freezing car and it'll remain under warranty, then no worries.

• Members

I think I mentioned in another thread that I recently played a CA git. Don't remember which model - was eyeballing a couple of small thin-body ones at the git store, so tried the CA just for the heck of it.

Tone wise, my opinion was "meh."

But it did have a few things going for it:

1. Very fast neck, like an electric. Loved it. Surprised by the graphite - felt better than I thought it would.

2. Playability was good - very low, fast action.

3. Light weight. I'd appreciate the reduced weight if I had to play standing up for a long period of time.

4. Comfy to hold. Well proportioned and wasn't slick like I expected it to be. Much easier to hang onto than a bowl back.

• Members

I think I mentioned in another thread that I recently played a CA git. Don't remember which model - was eyeballing a couple of small thin-body ones at the git store, so tried the CA just for the heck of it.

Tone wise, my opinion was "meh."

But it did have a few things going for it:

1. Very fast neck, like an electric. Loved it. Surprised by the graphite - felt better than I thought it would.

2. Playability was good - very low, fast action.

3. Light weight. I'd appreciate the reduced weight if I had to play standing up for a long period of time.

4. Comfy to hold. Well proportioned and wasn't slick like I expected it to be. Much easier to hang onto than a bowl back.

I have the full bodied GX model. Tone is better on this model. But I still prefer wood.

Neck is 1.75" @ the nut; fairly hefty; not much like an electric.

• Members

I have the full bodied GX model. Tone is better on this model. But I still prefer wood.

Neck is 1.75" @ the nut; fairly hefty; not much like an electric.

That's interesting. I should probably peruse their site and figure out which model I played, how wide the nut is, etc. I doubt that I'd ever buy one, though.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback. I do like to have a git in my car so I can properly abuse my breaks at work. I've a bud who does so with his $100 Fullerton (remember those?) and I keep my Vagabond Travel Git there most days 'cept the sub-freezing when it's too cold to play anyway. But I am intrigued by all the chat about the composites, feeling slightly GASsy.....Sometimes this is an expensive forum.....

Archived