Emperador or Gibson

cheeky_m0nkeys

• Members

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy an acoustic (previous one damaged in an accident), and am having some trouble coming down to a final decision.

Currently Im looking at a Gibson Hummingbird, and an Emperador 57-12801 a friend of mine is getting rid of (though in pristine condition).

I've held and played each, and both sound and feel really great. I like to try my hand at most styles of music (country, blues, folk, classic rock, jazz, etc.) but I guess I tend to do classic rock and blues more than anything-- though im starting to get into fingerpicking and sliding a lot more as well now (and will probably be looking to expand on that).

My main question is: Which would be the better option to go with?

I've read reviews of both guitars and both have received fairly high ratings across the board. I'll admit I have some trepadation towards the Emperador due to legal history and the company now being gone.

Any suggestions or advice or thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

• Members

The Hummingbird is going to be a much better instrument, unless someone has driven a HumVee over it... :eek:

Seriously, the Emperador line is made up of laminated body knock-offs of other (better) brands of instruments...if you can get it for $50 to $75, it might make a really nice "beater", but the Gibson is "quality".

• Members

I used to have an Emperador acoustic. I bought it at a local pawn shop for

$60 about 20 years ago. It was a nice guitar for the money. I ended up

giving it to a friend that plays bass, and wanted to try his hand at the

acoustic.

Archived