Fingerpicking Technique

Bumble'Bird9

• Members

I have tried to anchor the little finger - but it never works for me. I sometimes play P i m sometimes P i m a. I can slip between strumming and finger style on a whim almost. (If you listen to my version of hesitation blues in the annex you will hear towards the end i slip into a percussive strum. I got kinda bored)

I have had lessons over the last two years but I'm generally self taught. No classical. Mainly play blues so palm muting is my method of muting. I hear this is seen as heresy in some places - not here though.

Phil

• Members

never anchor your pinky. It prevents the soundboard from vibrating and projecting more sound to the audience.

I think that's not true if your pinky isn't bearing on the pickguard with much force.

Anyway, I do anchor with the pinky, lightly. Something else about technique--I've noticed that I am a fingerstyle oddball. Other players seem to play fingerstyle with their plucking fingers (thumb, index, middle, and possibly the other two) curled rather tightly, so that there is not a lot of range of finger motion while playing. I hardly curl my fingers at all, and so my fingers are waggling spiderishly all over the place. But somehow, it works for me.

• Members

I play anywhere between the fretboard and bridge to get the various dynamics available when needed. I really don't see how anyone can anchor a pinky finger and make a proper attack. The fingers have the wrong attack angle at that point and the ring finger damn near useless. I'm sitting here trying to play with an anchored pinky and I feel like I just put a glove on and ring and pinky fingers slipped into the same fingerhole. You really do not need training wheels (anchored pinky) to play fingerstyle. The whole of the arm from elbow to fingertips should become "one" as muscle memory postures the hand above the strings in a floating position without any tensed muscles. Loosey-goosey, everything in balance without having to lean against the side of the building (guitar).

Archived