Baritone Guitar

Al Qalam

• Members

Welcome to the forums. Queequeg is a regular poster here. He has a Larrivee baritone, I'm sure he'll be along to tell you about it. While you're waiting check out this link:

HCAG ANNEX

Click on the Acoustic tab, then Queequeg's Avatar and you'll find a couple of songs recorded on the baritone.

Markus

• Members

Ahoy Al Qalam, and welcome to the HCAG forum.

As Markuster indicated, I do have a Larrivee BT-60 baritone. It was discontinued in 2007. I like it very much, especially for running bass lines. I do not like the sound of a baritone being strummed. But for slow fingerstyle, especially traditional music, which is what I like to play a lot of, it is just wonderful.

27 inch scale length, which is fairly typical for a baritone, I tune down a fourth, BEADF#b for standard tuning, but I enjoy open tuning quite a bit with it too. and I don't have to worry about breaking strings when i change tunings frequently. I use D'Addario ESP23 strings (.016-.070)

It really rumbles in a wonderful way. Surprisingly easy to play, and has a 1 & 7/8 width @ the nut. Santa Cruz SCGC makes one very comparable to the Larrivee and there are a few imports available for >$1000. For a while I had a Avante AV-2 from MusicYo (musicYo is owned by Gibson.) around $450. Tacoma makes one too for more money. The Avante looks pretty weird but it was well-built. It convinced me that a baritone was a real instrument and then I stepped up to the Larrivee. They only seem to be available in winter. I guess MusicYo imports them and when they're gone they're all gone until the following year.

Although I bought my first baritone without ever having played one, I am not going to recommend that you do that. Try to play one somewhere, as baritones are not for everyone.

Santa Cruz internet forum has a baritone page & SCGC builds a Bob Brozman model. Living in Hawaii, I'm going to guess that Brozman needs no introduction to you.

I just booked my 2nd trip to Kauai for May of this year. Had a darned good time there about 4 years ago.

• Members

Ahoy Al Qalam, and welcome to the HCAG forum.

As Markuster indicated, I do have a Larrivee BT-60 baritone. It was discontinued in 2007. I like it very much, especially for running bass lines. I do not like the sound of a baritone being strummed. But for slow fingerstyle, especially traditional music, which is what I like to play a lot of, it is just wonderful.

27 inch scale length, which is fairly typical for a baritone, I tune down a fourth, BEADF#b for standard tuning, but I enjoy open tuning quite a bit with it too. and I don't have to worry about breaking strings when i change tunings frequently. I use D'Addario ESP23 strings (.016-.070)

It really rumbles in a wonderful way. Surprisingly easy to play, and has a 1 & 7/8 width @ the nut. Santa Cruz SCGC makes one very comparable to the Larrivee and there are a few imports available for >$1000. For a while I had a Avante AV-2 from MusicYo (musicYo is owned by Gibson.) around $450. Tacoma makes one too for more money. The Avante looks pretty weird but it was well-built. It convinced me that a baritone was a real instrument and then I stepped up to the Larrivee. They only seem to be available in winter. I guess MusicYo imports them and when they're gone they're all gone until the following year.

Although I bought my first baritone without ever having played one, I am not going to recommend that you do that. Try to play one somewhere, as baritones are not for everyone.

Santa Cruz internet forum has a baritone page & SCGC builds a Bob Brozman model. Living in Hawaii, I'm going to guess that Brozman needs no introduction to you.

I just booked my 2nd trip to Kauai for May of this year. Had a darned good time there about 4 years ago.

Many thanks for that valuable info, Queequeg. I'm going to start looking around for a baritone for fingerstyle. Looks like I'll have to hop over to Oahu for a hands on.

Kauai (my island) has a little more traffic than 4 years ago, but it's still as lush and laid back as ever. Lots of slack key, folk, jazz, and bluegrass playing here and there, too.

• Members

Kauai (my island) has a little more traffic than 4 years ago, but it's still as lush and laid back as ever. Lots of slack key, folk, jazz, and bluegrass playing here and there, too.

Looking forward to getting back there, Al Qalam. I did a couple of dives off the south shore. Incredible turtles. Mammoth specimens. Green Sea Turtles I believe they were. Looked like OHare airport with these turtles, 300 lb, 400 lb and more coming in for a landing from every direction toward me; dozens of them @ once. :eek:

Archived