Guitar shops in the Boston area

AZMLII

• Members

Off 93 in the Lakes region heading toward Holderness and Squam Lake.

http://www.vintagefret.com/

Picturesque little shop in maybe an old mill building right along a river. (Or is that Little Squam Lake?) I haven't been there in maybe 15 years, but it's still there and you would never expect to find such a great shop in such a bucolic setting!

Thanks. I'll look for it if I do a trip to the White Mountains this summer. :)

• Members

I guess I'm looking for a newbie friendly, neighborhood shop, with a relaxed atmosphere, knowledgeable staff. and excellent service. So far Cambridge Music Center, has been my favorite shop. ................

You're describing Acoustic Outfitters in Stratham, NH, best shop evah! Friendly, helpful staff but they also leave you alone to play what ever you want for as long as you want. It might seem like a drive to get there but it's well worth it, as I can never get out of there inside of two (sometimes three) hours. The selection is great and the instructional books in stock are unmatched by any other store I've ever been in. Oh yeah, and no sales tax...:thu:

• Members

The shop in Northampton you are talking about is called Downtown Sound, Great shop.

He carries Fender, Martin, I think Taylor, some Ric stuff, I rememeber test driving a Heritage there back some years ago.

The shop owner Joe is a pretty decent guy

they have a site

One of his employees Jim , has been with him for probably 25 years. Great guy.

He carries a nice selection of general purpose pedals and accessories too.

Oh the shop is on Pleasant St and is a hop skip and a jump from the Northampton Brewery. Plenty of places to eat in the area too.

There's another used guitar dealer on Center Street, and he carries some pretty sweet stuff from time time, it's called the Blue Note and is next door to the Iron Horse music hall.

An don't forget to stop in to Thornes Market, it's not a music dealer, but a bunch of little shops, the wife or GF will love it

And if you're in Northhampton you might as well drive 20 minutes north to Maple Leaf Music in Brattleboro, VT

http://www.mapleleafmusic.com

Toto, I don't think were very local to Boston any more....

• Members

I know the name changed agiain, but the shop that was Used Sound, by Johnny D's, has nice stuff. Occasionally nice acoustics. I got my Martin there for very short money. I love it. Worth stopping in.

The Guitar Center, on Comm. Ave is in Brookline. The border runs from St. Mary's street, up the South side of Comm. Ave just about to Packard's corner.

I find their Guitars to be poorly set up and a drag to play.

Cambridge Music is a good place to buy, and maintain a relationship. Plus if anything ever goes wrong you can go upstairs for repairs, to Jim Moridian.

• Members

I know the name changed agiain, but the shop that was Used Sound, by Johnny D's, has nice stuff. Occasionally nice acoustics. I got my Martin there for very short money. I love it. Worth stopping in.

When I went to Carlino's in Medford I went there and it was closed on Sundays :mad:

The Guitar Center, on Comm. Ave is in Brookline. The border runs from St. Mary's street, up the South side of Comm. Ave just about to Packard's corner.

I can't say what town it is in, but it's address is:

750 Commonwealth Ave., Boston, MA 02215

Cambridge Music is a good place to buy, and maintain a relationship. Plus if anything ever goes wrong you can go upstairs for repairs, to Jim Moridian.

I gotta finally go there.

• Members

The shop in Davis Square is called Rockin Bob's, my wife done a good bit of biusness with them. While the selection is limited, they have good prices, and they have dealt fairly with her.

I had Jim Moridian set up my acoustic. He also replaced the pickups on my wife's Vantage semi-hollow body, cleaned it up, and made sure everything was set up well. He and his son do excellent work, charge a fair price, and are generally good people to deal with. I will definitely go back there when I need work done in the future.

My wife bought my Tele at Cambridge Music Center, and I've bought strings, picks, etc. there. They've been friendly and helpful, and the price on the Tele was really good. They're large enough to have a good selection.

Patrick

Archived