BRAGGS PICKUPS?!

bmast160

• Members

I currently have a fishman blend pickup(humbucker with condenser mic) connected to a fishman platinum preamp then a few effects then an acoustic amp. Considering the braggs m1 or m1 active. Recommendations? How different would the two m1's react with my preamp? Do the m1 and m1 active sound different? How do they compare to the fishman blend? Do the

m1's really get the body sound like the condenser mic on the fishman blend does? What is the "body sound" like that the m1 gets?

• Members

Well IMO the M-1 is more natural, has a bit more top end presence and a heap more output(tthe active).

You won't really need a preamp with the active M-1....the tone shaping eq on your amp should take care of any alterations you need to make...to me though, in a balanced sounding guitar they need no EQ'ing, unless you want to take some mids out to lose that slight "electricness" they can have on the B and high E strings.

Search the thread I made called "Living with the M-1 active", it will explain alot.

EDIT * Here!

I have owned a Rare Earth blend, and it needed buffering before running into a PA line channel....M-1's really do not, and the body sensitivity is really good...I don't believe you can make the blend pick up as much body tapping etc before it's into feedback zone...at least with the volume levels I like to play at.

Lemme know how you find your M-1 if you get one, I am totally sold on them, they are like an answer to my prayers!

• Members

so you like the m1 better than the m1active? its more natural? if i use the m1passive with the preamp/eq to take out a little mid and low is that should work out fine tho right? also will it work using the preamp/eq with a m1active if i wanted to?

also do you like the m1's better than any other baggs pickups? do you like the tone better than the fishman blend or is it just that it doesnt feedback as easy as the blend?

• Members

so you like the m1 better than the m1active? its more natural? if i use the m1passive with the preamp/eq to take out a little mid and low is that should work out fine tho right? also will it work using the preamp/eq with a m1active if i wanted to?

also do you like the m1's better than any other baggs pickups? do you like the tone better than the fishman blend or is it just that it doesnt feedback as easy as the blend?

I like the M-1 active because I don't like having to carry d.i. boxes/preamps to some of the gigs I do...it's nice to carry a guitar and a couple of leads, plug in and go.

Personally I never found the R.E. blend had enough output to do this, it always needed a boost offa a preamp.

I much prefer the tone of an M-1 over a rare earth blend,or any other pickup I've ever tried...barring maybe only the Cole Clarke dual system...it's more robust, has nicer harmonics and better fidelity....needs less eq'ing if any atall to sound like an acoustic voice, not a clean electric (which is a sound I still use a rare earth single coil for on gigs).

You could still use a preamp with an M-1 active, you just need to back the gain off....get it right and you'll have a nice strong signal with alot of scope for eq.

Hope I haven't missed anything!

• Members

Jake,

How close are you running the individual sensors to the strings? I see that you mention that the B is a little closer then the rest. I'm just wondering what clearances you are using.

Hi Gary, it will vary guitar to guitar I reckon...I'll try and find some pics...I myself dont own a camera, so I'll see if any of my gig pics taken by other people show it.

• Members

I like the M-1 active because I don't like having to carry d.i. boxes/preamps to some of the gigs I do...it's nice to carry a guitar and a couple of leads, plug in and go.

Personally I never found the R.E. blend had enough output to do this, it always needed a boost offa a preamp.

I much prefer the tone of an M-1 over a rare earth blend,or any other pickup I've ever tried...barring maybe only the Cole Clarke dual system...it's more robust, has nicer harmonics and better fidelity....needs less eq'ing if any atall to sound like an acoustic voice, not a clean electric (which is a sound I still use a rare earth single coil for on gigs).

You could still use a preamp with an M-1 active, you just need to back the gain off....get it right and you'll have a nice strong signal with alot of scope for eq.

Hope I haven't missed anything!

i think im gonna get the m1 passive...its cheaper...i already have a preamp and when i upgrade with a mixer sometime that has an even better preamp itll sound even better...im assuming there are some preamps that are much better than whats used in the m1active and if i get the m1active ill have to use the preamp in it...what do you think?

also one other thing...what do you think about the imix?

• Members

The small price difference is well worth it for the active version. I've owned both and found the active version to be much more useful. Any outboard preamp can be used with the active version to further tailor the output but the real joy is being able to use it without anything extra.

FWIW, when I was shopping I contacted shoreline music (very well respected dealer of various acoustic pickups) and they wholeheartedly recommended the active version. I haven't been dissapointed.

• Members

The small price difference is well worth it for the active version. I've owned both and found the active version to be much more useful. Any outboard preamp can be used with the active version to further tailor the output but the real joy is being able to use it without anything extra.

FWIW, when I was shopping I contacted shoreline music (very well respected dealer of various acoustic pickups) and they wholeheartedly recommended the active version. I haven't been dissapointed.

gotcha. comments anyone else?

• Members

I purchased the passive version, but I am using an iMix and and Element USP with it. I have it half-way installed (easy process, but I'm moving slow) and should have it ready for rehearsal Thursday evening. I'll give a report.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you like it! I think it's going to sound amazing. I'm sure it will require some time tinkering with the blend as well as the bass and treble on the IMix (I think it has adjustments for that), but It should be well worth it in the end.

Archived