Concert review: John Jorgenson Quintet

EvilTwin

• Members

I had the good luck to see the JJQ on 3/31 in Rockville, MD. If you guys have the chance to check them out, I highly recommend 'em. Jorgenson is an incredible musician who surrounds himself with the best of the best; I don't think I heard a bum note all night.

The quintet played two sets; both started out with Django-esque swingers, but for the life of me, I can't remember their names. However, most of the tunes the quintet played were from their last album, "Ultraspontane," which is slightly more Eastern-sounding compared to the usual Parisian swing associated with the genre.

The first set was capped with an absolutely ferocious "Ghost Dance" (youtube for it if you haven't heard the song, it's amazing), while the second set closer was "Shine" (the second set was a little more laid back, overall).

They played "Nuages" as the encore, but without any amplification...and IMO, it was the best-sounding performance of the night. It was only slightly quieter compared to their normal, minimal amplification. Pretty amazing how darn loud a Selmer-style guitar is. :eek:

Jorgenson played one of his signature Gitanes all night -- a 14-fret Grande Bouche (with a Schertler stick-on pickup). I got to meet him after the show, and he's a helluva nice guy. Very humble and appreciative of those who come out to listen to his quintet.

I've been to better shows (with elaborate lighting and stages), but this was hands-down the greatest night of music I've ever been fortunate enough to attend. :thu:

• Members

Wow! Thanks for the review! Didja get snap shot of you two together?

IIRC he uses a Schertler Unico with that Schertler pup.

I recently read in Fretboard Journal (current issue is great) that he's been listening to much more Eastern European music. I guess it has gotten inside his music. I need to pick up Ultraspontane.

Need to check his touring schedule and see if he's coming round Texas way.

btw, he has four Selmers!

• Members

I did get a pic with JJ, but it was from a friend's cell phone. I'll have to get it emailed to me.

Four Selmers? :eek:

PLUS having all those Gitane sigs?

I'm jealous. :(

"Ultraspontane" is a really cool album. "Swingapore" and "Ghost Town" are excellent...I'll be pulling my hair out trying to learn them. :D Plus, he covers both of Django's "Improvisation" compositions...with symphonic backing, which is really beautiful.

For JJQ tour dates...Jorgenson's Web site says to check his myspace page for the most recent updates. :idk:

• Members
Eviltwin,

Did Kevin Nolan play rhythm guitar that night? If so, what did you think of him? I saw him when he played with the Robin Nolan Trio and he had some really solid rhythm chops.

I think that was his name; it wasn't the other fellow who I've seen on youtube clips, and who tracked "Ultraspontane" (I have the album out in my car, but I can't remember his name at the moment). This guy had fairly short, cropped hair and was a bit...rounder. :D

But the guy was like a fine-tuned Rolex. He never lost time. He had the spotlight in the second set for a guitar duet, which Jorgenson said was some sort of Joseph Reinhardt composition. I thought it was an odd choice, since JJ took all of the leads...but then I really listened to the rhythm, and it was a very difficult piece to play -- strange chord voicings with off-beat stops and starts.

He had a neat guitar, too. I don't think it was a Gitane Selmer-copy. JJ remarked after the show that it's a tremendously loud guitar which can't be played too hard in a show like this, and that his Gitanes don't hold up to it.

• Members

I think Kevin Nolan plays an Aylward guitar which are made in Scotland I believe.

I had the chance to try one of those out and man I really wanted to pull the plug on it. A guy I know had it for sale and he let me use it one night at one of our shows. I tried to see if I could trade my Dell Arte for it but he wasn't up for it - not that there's anything wrong with the Dell Arte. That Aylward was just so full and rich though. He needed to sell it because he was getting a shorter scale instrument made for him by luthier Shelley Parks. I hear she makes an amazing gypsy guitar as well.

• Members
I think Kevin Nolan plays an Aylward guitar which are made in Scotland I believe.

I had the chance to try one of those out and man I really wanted to pull the plug on it. A guy I know had it for sale and he let me use it one night at one of our shows. I tried to see if I could trade my Dell Arte for it but he wasn't up for it - not that there's anything wrong with the Dell Arte. That Aylward was just so full and rich though. He needed to sell it because he was getting a shorter scale instrument made for him by luthier Shelley Parks. I hear she makes an amazing gypsy guitar as well.

Cool info. :thu:

I'd never heard of Aylward guitars before. It's funny how the deeper you delve into gypsy jazz, the more guitar brands you hear about that you'd never find out about, otherwise. Only a few years ago, I'd never even seen a Selmer-type guitar.

Archived