Jay Turser Jay Jr 3/4 guitar

kimona

• Members

Thanks for the posts. I was just trying to find a decent guitar that my 10-year-old could actually get over and see the strings and fingerboard.

I took him to the guitar shop last night, and he didn't like any of the "shrunken" guitars. He wants a "real" guitar. Anyway, he landed on two guitars, the Ibanez Talman A/E ($199) which looks a bit like an electric with a smaller thin body and the Applause AE128 ($199) with that shallow resin back. He liked the fit and feel of the Applause best, and it was moderately more playable than the Talman. Neither sounds very good to me, but I think the Applause did have better tone. Certainly not my favourite guitars, but I have to find something that will work for him... otherwise, he'll quickly lose that eager spirit to learn to play.

• Members

Thanks for the posts.
I was just trying to find a decent guitar that my 10-year-old could actually get over and see the strings and fingerboard.

I took him to the guitar shop last night, and he didn't like any of the "shrunken" guitars. He wants a "real" guitar. Anyway, he landed on two guitars, the Ibanez Talman A/E ($199) which looks a bit like an electric with a smaller thin body and the Applause AE128 ($199) with that shallow resin back. He liked the fit and feel of the Applause best, and it was moderately more playable than the Talman. Neither sounds very good to me, but I think the Applause did have better tone. Certainly not my favourite guitars, but I have to find something that will work for him... otherwise, he'll quickly lose that eager spirit to learn to play.

Well, FWIW, I was playing a dread at the grand old age of 11. My git had a relatively narrow neck and I had no problems forming chords.

And I was a real pipsqueak. As a point of reference, I'm now only 5'2", 105 lbs, so you can well imagine what a shrimp I was back then.

The sound of that git was lovely, so I enjoyed playing it. If it had been a crummy cheap-o kiddie git, I would have stashed it in the closet and gone outside to play.

So IMO, get the kid a real git. You've posted that you like Yammies, and I just happen to think a 700S is an excellent git for a young player. It's not terribly expensive, is easy to play, and sounds quite nice.

Truly a guitar for a young player to be proud of that won't break mom's bank account.

Just my .02

• Members

good helpful advice, that.

Well, that's my opinion, though stated rather tersely. Okay, being "terse" is my bad. Mea Culpa.

The Jay Turser is a crummy git, IMO. OTOH, the Baby Taylor, though small, actually sounds and plays rather nicely, and it's a good-quality build. Probably the only 3/4 size git that I'd recommend, even over the shrunk Martins.

• Members

Well, FWIW, I was playing a dread at the grand old age of 11. My git had a relatively narrow neck and I had no problems forming chords.

And I was a real pipsqueak. As a point of reference, I'm now only 5'2", 105 lbs, so you can well imagine what a shrimp I was back then.

The sound of that git was lovely, so I enjoyed playing it. If it had been a crummy cheap-o kiddie git, I would have stashed it in the closet and gone outside to play.

So IMO, get the kid a real git. You've posted that you like Yammies, and I just happen to think a 700S is an excellent git for a young player. It's not terribly expensive, is easy to play, and sounds quite nice.

Truly a guitar for a young player to be proud of that won't break mom's bank account.

Just my .02

Well, thats' exactly what I tried last week when I got the Yamaha FG700S. But, unfortunately, he just finds it too large to get over comfortably. The shrunken guitars are out now that he's seen and "played" them... and thinks they're more like toys than the real things... even the Yamaha Jr. that tkris suggests above. So now, another trip to a second music store this morning and he landed on the Ovation/Applause once again. Yikes. Anyway, seems that's where he's settled right now. Never thought I'd own one of those resin back guitars!

• Members

Well, thats' exactly what I tried last week when I got the Yamaha FG700S. But, unfortunately, he just finds it too large to get over comfortably. The shrunken guitars are out now that he's seen and "played" them... and thinks they're more like toys than the real things... even the Yamaha Jr. that tkris suggests above. So now, another trip to a second music store this morning and he landed on the Ovation/Applause once again. Yikes. Anyway, seems that's where he's settled right now. Never thought I'd own one of those resin back guitars!

Well, there are certainly worse gits than those made of unconventional materials. The resin is pretty sturdy stuff and easy to care for. Do be mindful of humidity, though, for the sake of the wood top.

At least he's settled on something that he likes and is comfy with. I hope he sticks with it.

• Members

Samilyn, you bring up two good points: the resin back is definitely sturdy; and yes, more important to find something that he won't easily become frustrated with.

I sure hope it works out for him and that he doesn't become frustrated with it.

Another point I often raise is the peer pressure thing. Kids are very influenced by their friends and if his friends don't think his guitar is cool, he's liable to lose his enthusiasm for it.

If his friends think the guitar is cool, and he subsequently learns a few tunes that are popular with his peer group, he's far more likely to stick with it and become a proficient player.

Archived