Lets discuss other "digital" distribution options....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting... just saw this article over on Digg. It said that 48% of teens didn't buy a CD last year (who knows how accurate), however, the comments to the story are quite interesting. What do you think?

Polls like this always make me uncertain, because the next day another poll comes out with different data.

One thing is clear: there's a trend towards media proliferation through all-digital, non-physical means: be it movies, music, words, it's getting into the hands of consumers with nothing physical to put on a shelf. How much, and to what degree? The jury's still out, I think.

--Peter

peter@tunecore.com

• Members

Polls like this always make me uncertain, because the next day another poll comes out with different data.

One thing is clear: there's a trend towards media proliferation through all-digital, non-physical means: be it movies, music, words, it's getting into the hands of consumers with nothing physical to put on a shelf. How much, and to what degree? The jury's still out, I think.

--Peter

I'm actually searching more about digital solutions and I didn't know Tunecore before reading this board...

I think of registering but maybe should I have my album released before...

• Members

I'm actually searching more about digital solutions and I didn't know Tunecore before reading this board...

I think of registering but maybe should I have my album released before...

If you want, but it's not necessary. Putting it up for sale on iTunes or another digital store is releasing it. Unless it needs mastering or something, I wouldn't wait. Why wait? People want great new music!

--Peter

peter@tunecore.com

• Members

:)
Oh it's just that I only have one complete song actually. I'll wait for the whole album to be complete to registrer
;)

Do you know if you have a lot of french members?

Several hundred, I think! I always hope for more, since I speak French (poorly) and spent a year in Paris recently that I'll cherish forever.

--Peter

peter@tunecore.com

• 2 months later...
  • Members

i don't see the distribution of physical CD's going away any time soon, however as we've already seen, the sales of them will definitely continue to slow down. CD's will have more of a sentimental "value" in my opinion. Also, as the record industry continues to freak out over losses in sales and bull{censored} royalty stakes, the Majors are just going to be turning more and more into management companies. I'd bet they are really trying to work more and more into royalty contracts on touring, only because that is where a lot of the revenues are today.

The times are changing. I can't believe it's 2008, and this whole industry is not even close to being figured out. You'd think after 1999 or whatever year it was the napster killed music, that everything would be figured out within the next decade, but apparently I'm mistaken.

Check out this article about the transition from "sentimental value" of CDs to the iPod...

http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2007/10/when-pigs-fly-death-of-oink-birth-of.html

• Members

I Don't buy Cds anymore. I have almost 3000 of them now and I can find no more room for them. I buy all of my music through Itunes. Is the quality less than with a CD. Yes, but not noticable when I am driving or working out,which is when I listen to music 90 % of the time . It is a compromise that I must make, and it works out perfectly for me.

• Members

Check out this article about the transition from "sentimental value" of CDs to the iPod...

That's a very thoughtful and well-written blog. The guy is a very intelligent and gifted writer. But he's wrong on several issues, and by wrong, I mean that his personal bitterness to the industry leads him to admitted assumptions about how artists themselves could make a living, and his foundation on that issue is flawed, so no matter how perfect the framing, the roof, the plumbing, the interior design is made, the house falls in the next thunderstorm.

• Members

Hi jmr27,

Having your music in every location and using every service you can manage is very important to personal success with your product.

We are about to launch a tool in which will make things much easier for direct digital sellers and music services as well. You can see a preview at www.retailzip.com.

At the end of the day, the more places your product can be accessed the better.

Regards,

-William G. Blanchard

The Retail Zip Company

Archived