Music theory................

spruce goose

• Members

What's the value of learning music theory, IYO?

More specifically, I've been playing for quite a few years (some of the time), but never really learned music theory and such. However, in the last few months I've been working (a bit) on imporving my skillz as a playa. I guess the next logical step would be to learn a bit MT.

To be even more specific:

1. What are the most important aspects of "music theory"?

-- Reading music?

-- Constructing chords?

-- I don't know?

2. How long does it normally take to study these things? Is it easy to learn how to read music, construct chords, and I don't know?

3. What's the best way to study these things?

-- DVDs? (which ones?)

-- Books? (which?)

-- (I doubt very much I'll be taking any private classes)

Appreciate it.

• Members

Music Theory is IMO a broad and over-used term. Basically the point of it all is to analyze what makes up the music after the music has already happened. Knowing what makes music work and being able to quantify it and communicate it with other musicians can make you a better musician in turn. I don't believe that a knowledge of music theory is necessary to be a great musician. But if you're looking for a deeper knowledge of music, it won't hurt.

3. What's the best way to study these things?

-- DVDs? (which ones?)

-- Books? (which?)

-- (I doubt very much I'll be taking any private classes)

I vote books. This is a good book for reading...
http://www.berkleepress.com/catalog/product?product%5fid=11153

... and after you get through that go to this one...
http://www.berkleepress.com/catalog/product?product%5fid=11156

... which is absolutely full of tons of exercises that you just go through without stopping. Get a note wrong, go to the next one. Don't study it too in depth, you're just trying to build up your reading chops.

As for basic music theory, I've heard the "For Dummies" books are organized and awesome:
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Theory-Dummies-Michael-Pilhofer/dp/0764578383

Good luck! This stuff probably seems pretty overwhelming but if you're up for learning it, it will only help you in the long run.

Ellen

• Members

Music theory and standard notation is a language that helps you communicate with other musicians as well as gives you the player information about the piece of music you are playing or trying to learn. As you start to learn theory you will realize that timing is most important. It's a good idea to buy a metronome. It's not really that hard to learn the basics of notation and theory. Learning to sight read...especially on guitar is not easy but with practice it can be learned.

Learning music theory is also a good way to help you learn to construct chords and undertsand scales, arpeggios..etc...

Now...I am no means an expert on music theory but I can read and understand very basic notation (like the Real Book of jazz standards). I taught myself using books and internet resources. There is a lot of info on the net about music theory...just try Google and I am sure it will give you a good start. Like Ellen says..the more I learned about "music theory" the more I too found I did not know.

Most of all..have fun with it!

• Members

I've got piles of theory books and have found that the Skeptical Guitarist series is by far, without compare the best basic theory books available anywhere. Concepts are presented very clearly and in plain, jargon-free language written specifically for the guitar. I wish I'd found these books before I'd considered buying any others. These really fill in the gaps and help you develop the understanding to play more knowledgeably. I promise they will not disappoint!

http://www.skepticalguitarist.com/

ps. I realize I sound like an ad but I just really think this guys books are great. I'd be interested in what you think should you try them. The Christmas fingerstyle book is pretty nifty too. Good luck!

• Members

I suggest that you learn it, I wouldnt worry about learning to sight read though.

IMHO traditional music notation is absolutely retarded for the guitar.

For instruments with a smaller range, i.e. violin and piano it works great. not so well with guitar.

But I am doing the fretboard logic series and it seems to be making sense so far.

• Members

I suggest that you learn it, I wouldnt worry about learning to sight read though.

IMHO traditional music notation is absolutely retarded for the guitar.

For instruments with a smaller range, i.e. violin and piano it works great. not so well with guitar.

But I am doing the fretboard logic series and it seems to be making sense so far.

True for the most part, but really, there is only so much music you can find tabs for.

Archived