Low end feedback

pikappant82

• Members

I played at a jam-night last night with my Gibson Songwriter deluxe and had some feedback issues, which I know is common with a guitar with good low end. With the way the stage was setup, the floor monitor was practically facing right into my soundhole and as soon as I rolled up on the volume it went to feeding back. So they had to roll off the low freq's on the mixer a bit, which sucks. The guy running sound recommended that I get a feedback buster, which I actually have one of the rubber soundhole covers for one of my other guitars. The only problem is that on the Gibson, the volume control is just inside the soundhole. He said that I could probably cut a hole on the rubber cover so that it would fit around the volume control.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

• Members

I don't have one, but people here have reported doing the "cut a slot" method in the feedback buster to accommodate controls with good success.

Another thing to look at... does your preamp have a notch control? There may be a particular frequency that's causing you trouble that you could eliminate with the notch.

Barring those options, you're probably going to have to move things around on the stage.

-A

• Members

1) your sound guy doesnt sound like he is really on top of it

2) your monitor sounds like it need to be moved.

3) if it is a "hot spot" monitor get it positioned so that it is directed at you not the guitar

4) floor wedges sometimes work better. If the hot spot is right in front of the guitar, the SPL is quite high at the guitar, inducing feedback

5) feedback busters are a crutch, and cannot be relied upon to eliminate feedback from a poorly positioned monitor

6) ask him to notch the feedback instead of cutting all the lows

7) It could be the mains also, you may be finding a room resonance - might be worth moving or redirecting the mains (if that is an option) to see if there is any effect.

• Members

You all are absolutely right. The stage could be set up better, and the monitor levels could have been reduced. But again, its not my stage nor my equipment. The monitors were JBL floor wedges http://www.m-e-media.de/JBL-SR-4704.JPG

And I know that normally you want monitors pointed toward your face. It could have also been the mains, but I assumed it was the monitors given their placement. I'm not sure if he was running a seperate monitor EQ, but I was trying to ask him to cut the lows on the monitors only.

As far as my guitar goes, it does not have an EQ, notch, etc. It has an active pickup, but only a volume control located just inside the soundhole.

Archived