Chris Murray -- Acoustic Ska

Stackabones

• Members

[YOUTUBE]bIIsQcmH2B4[/YOUTUBE]

Just came across this guy, though he's been around a while. I dl'd "Raw" from iTunes and I'm really digging it. Great tunes, super lo-fi production values. "Raw" was recorded with a recording walkman! I think his earlier stuff was recorded on a 4-track cassette a la Tascam or something like that.

Wondering if today's Zooms and GarageBands and so forth will one day be considered lo-fi? :lol: All in good time, huh?

Anybody else know about this guy? Solid songwriter and a really listenable voice and style imo. :cool:

• Members

Chris Murray is great. I got a see him do a free show at a train station 2 years ago or so. He has a bunch of releases with a number of bands he has been in or worked with.

He also runs a SKA night every Wednesday at the Bluebeat Lounge at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood where he will often plays. My friend's band, the Tapedeck Disaster, opens there now and again for him.

• Members

Chris Murray is great. I got a see him do a free show at a train station 2 years ago or so. He has a bunch of releases with a number of bands he has been in or worked with.

He also runs a SKA night every Wednesday at the Bluebeat Lounge at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood where he will often plays. My friend's band, the Tapedeck Disaster, opens there now and again for him.

I thinking about spinning Raw for a while and then maybe getting the 4-track Adventures one, or maybe his combo.

I'd read about that ska night. Cool that your friend gets to open. Do they play ska as well? Great name. :thu:

• Members

Hey,

All of Chris' stuff that I have heard is cool. I have one friend who really likes his stuff with the slackers but I'm not too familiar with it myself. He was also in a band called King Apparatus (I that was the name).

My friend's band plays acoustic ska/pop but not like Chris' style. They are for some people and not for others. He has some stuff here from his old band - The Rocksteady Explosion. http://www.myspace.com/rocksteadyexplosion

• Members

Hey,

All of Chris' stuff that I have heard is cool. I have one friend who really likes his stuff with the slackers but I'm not too familiar with it myself. He was also in a band called King Apparatus (I that was the name).

My friend's band plays acoustic ska/pop but not like Chris' style. They are for some people and not for others. He has some stuff here from his old band - The Rocksteady Explosion.
http://www.myspace.com/rocksteadyexplosion

Cool. I'll have to dig up some of Murray's older stuff. Do you anything about the lo-fi approach he's using? Is there something bigger going on that I'm unaware of?

Nice link to the Rocksteady Explosion. :thu:

• Members

On Raw, I know he did a tape recorder and I think it sounds like it to me. I'm sure it was a decent one.

I think his sound on Raw is pretty close to his sound in person.

Here is some youtube clips - this is a good representation of how he sounded in person when I saw him. I'm in New Jersey so he's not out here much.

Home -

(one of my personal favorites)

Rocksteady -

Real Ska -

• Members

Murray is pretty rad, nice guy, too. Several years ago I was in a local punk/ska band, and during one of our tours we had the pleasure of playing with him at The Knitting Factory in Hollywood. Amazing show. Nothing like watching a sea of people dancing the night away.

• Members

Murray is pretty rad, nice guy, too. Several years ago I was in a local punk/ska band, and during one of our tours we had the pleasure of playing with him at The Knitting Factory in Hollywood. Amazing show. Nothing like watching a sea of people dancing the night away.

It seems like The Knitting Factory is the current nexus of ska? Have we entered a fourth wave, yet?

I was in an eclectic ska band (we mixed ska with a bunch of other stuff, even did an Eno tune ska-wise) about a decade and a half ago. Those rhythms are so great. I've heard ska called "upside down R&B" before, and the guitar parts often remind of upside down Freddie Green ... ya know what I'm talking about ... that four-on-the-floor Freddie Green turned on its head.

Just arranged Makin' Whoopee as a ska tune a couple of weeks ago and it works well -- and I've been rearraging some tunes in my rep. I think plenty of those standards would shine with that rhythm. I know that the New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble has explored those tunes with solid results imo.

Getting more curious about acoustic ska!

Archived