New Recorder Day

fmw

• Members

In an effort to simplify recording I bought a Tascam DP-02CF Portastudio. I have turned it on but haven't recorded anything yet. It is fairly large, fairly heavy and cost less than $250 from one of the reliable Ebay sellers who is an authorized dealer for Tascam. If it actually works, it will be one of the great values in the pro audio world.

I'll get accustomed to it and test it over the weekend. I should be able to write a review in the next several days. Here's an image:

dp02cf.jpg

• Members
In an effort to simplify recording I bought a Tascam DP-02CF Portastudio. I have turned it on but haven't recorded anything yet. It is fairly large, fairly heavy and cost less than $250 from one of the reliable Ebay sellers who is an authorized dealer for Tascam. If it actually works, it will be one of the great values in the pro audio world.

I'll get accustomed to it and test it over the weekend. I should be able to write a review in the next several days. Here's an image:

dp02cf.jpg

Congrats, FMW! I recently purchased the CD version. I love mine and I think you'll love yours. Looking forward to hearing some samples in the future! :thu:

• Members

I'll review it pretty thoroughly. I used to write reviews for consumer electronic products. I chose the CF because I like to do my editing, effects and CD burning on the computer. This model will make it easy to unplug the CF card from the recorder and plug it into a card reader on the computer. Maybe one day I'll get a good interface and record on the computer as well but this is pretty hard to beat for $250.

The DP02, of course, is capable doing the whole job by itself from tracking to burning a CD without the help of a computer. I guess these really are stand alone computers, aren't they?

• Members

I'll review it pretty thoroughly. I used to write reviews for consumer electronic products. I chose the CF because I like to do my editing, effects and CD burning on the computer. This model will make it easy to unplug the CF card from the recorder and plug it into a card reader on the computer. Maybe one day I'll get a good interface and record on the computer as well but this is pretty hard to beat for $250.

The DP02, of course, is capable doing the whole job by itself from tracking to burning a CD without the help of a computer. I guess these really are stand alone computers, aren't they?

I think they are. It is a bit of a switch going from PC recording to the standalone. I had gotten use to point, clicking, dragging, dropping, etc. The standalone is quite different from that type of environment, obviously. But, I find that it is very easy to place "in" and "out" marks for editing, punching and mixing with this unit. Mine has built-in effects too, so I don't know how much I will be sending my wav files over to the pc for Cubase editing.

I do need to learn more about using MIDI, though, for importing drum and bass parts. Not sure how to do this yet (subject for another thread). At any rate, I look forward to your review. One things is for sure, it IS a great bargain....

• Members

I think they are. It is a bit of a switch going from PC recording to the standalone. I had gotten use to point, clicking, dragging, dropping, etc. The standalone is quite different from that type of environment, obviously. But, I find that it is very easy to place "in" and "out" marks for editing, punching and mixing with this unit. Mine has built-in effects too, so I don't know how much I will be sending my wav files over to the pc for Cubase editing.

I do need to learn more about using MIDI, though, for importing drum and bass parts. Not sure how to do this yet (subject for another thread). At any rate, I look forward to your review. One things is for sure, it IS a great bargain....

I usually convert the midi to wav or mp3 and just play it through the system from a CD player.

If you're talking about importing midi files to assemble a band on the mixer, that's a lot of work. My approach to that is a program called band in a box. It is a sequencer basically. You operate it by typing the chord changes into each measure. Then you can apply a style to it and, presto, you have a band. It is so cool it is almost scary. You can edit anything, you can enter notation, you write out midi files if you like and play them on your synthesizer. It is amazing and so simple that I wouldn't dream of trying to put all that together by hand. Just build it quickly using band in a box and edit what you want to change and that's it.

Here's a sample. This is a quick backing track I made with band in a box. It is 12 bar blues shuffle in G with 2 repeats so it plays for 36 bars. You can down load it. It will make a nice backing track if you like to play 12 bar blues shuffles. made this backing in track in less than 5 minutes. I just wrote the chord names in the 12 measures, applied a musical style called Dr. John, put in the repeats and wrote it out as a midi file. When you play it you will understand why the style is called Dr. John.

http://www.foodieforums.com/otherimages/12barmidi.mid

• Members

I usually convert the midi to wav or mp3 and just play it through the system from a CD player.

If you're talking about importing midi files to assemble a band on the mixer, that's a lot of work. My approach to that is a program called band in a box. It is a sequencer basically. You operate it by typing the chord changes into each measure. Then you can apply a style to it and, presto, you have a band. It is so cool it is almost scary. You can edit anything, you can enter notation, you write out midi files if you like and play them on your synthesizer. It is amazing and so simple that I wouldn't dream of trying to put all that together by hand. Just build it quickly using band in a box and edit what you want to change and that's it.

Here's a sample. This is a quick backing track I made with band in a box. It is 12 bar blues shuffle in G with 2 repeats so it plays for 36 bars. You can down load it. It will make a nice backing track if you like to play 12 bar blues shuffles. made this backing in track in less than 5 minutes. I just wrote the chord names in the 12 measures, applied a musical style called Dr. John, put in the repeats and wrote it out as a midi file. When you play it you will understand why the style is called Dr. John.

Hmmm....that is what I am talking about doing. In the past, I would download a midi file, import it into Cubase, remoive the guitar parts (and sometimes the keyboads), then record my own guitar/keys using that backdrop. Wikth this new unit, I think I have to first convert these files to wav format, then import them into the machine. I'm not sure there is a more "direct" way of converting/importing - for example, the new unit does not import midi files directly.

I will look into what you are referring to, and may come back with a question or two. Thanks a bunch!

Archived