D28 Labels

Simon76

• Members

The past couple of months I've seen three D28's advertised on Craigslist that doesn't have a label inside the soundhole. I see labels inside D28's at my local dealer. Was there a time that Martin didn't use paper labels?

How can you tell a D28 knockoff if the label is gone?

The one's i've seen are advertised cheap, $1500 and less.

• Members

The past couple of months I've seen three D28's advertised on Craigslist that doesn't have a label inside the soundhole. I see labels inside D28's at my local dealer. Was there a time that Martin didn't use paper labels?

How can you tell a D28 knockoff if the label is gone?

The one's i've seen are advertised cheap, $1500 and less.

D-28s don't have paper labels. They have an engraving on the neck block with the Martin logo, model number and serial number. They also have a logo on the center back brace under the soundhole.

Both my HD-28 and my HD-35 are the same in this respect.

IMG_0117.jpg

• Members

:love:Martin Guitar created their own problem for copies. You can purchase a kit from them for a rosewood dreadnaught for under $500.00 (all solid wood).

That kit used to be a D28 copy, although you are not permitted to put a Martin label on it. They also had a D-18 copy, which was the first guitar I ever built. If you're good enough at woodworking and read enough guitar construction books, you can build one. You would need some specialized tools, though. I still have the D18 kit I built and gave the D28

kit to my grandson. I wish I never did, because that was one sweet sounding guitar.

Archived