Best instrument cable for recording acoustic guitar?

Whopbamboom

• Members

Looking to buy some gear for home-recording the best possible demo that I can put together. I am very concerned with the quality of sound, yet this is a project that will have to be done at home.

I'd like to know what the best instrument cables for recording acoustic guitar might be? What should I look for?

• Members

Cables are not an area to get overly concerned about. the mics you use, the A/D converter, pre amps, etc are the real items of importance. Cabling can be important at frequencies where the capacitance and inductance can cause degradation. Video information is high frequency and bandwidth that could be degraded by substandard cables. Audio information (low frequency, narrow bandwidth) is not likely to suffer any noticeable degradation due to the cabling used.

Focus your money and efforts on those part of the signal chain which make a difference in sound quality.

• Members

totamus is right. the cables are the least to worry about. i was useing a Oktava 312 (number?) for my accoustic stuff recording into my Tascam 2488II. i use the Octava for vocals mainly. then after my producer in Maryland suggested, use a AT 4033 for accoustic guitar. (his stuff always sounds good) i bought the AT4033cl (newer model of the 4033). nice mic and a major difference. i did a lot of studying before i went with the AT so it's a good mic for accoustic anything. i saw the AT4040 on sale at Musicians friend for like $299---thats a steal.....:thu:

Archived