Acoustic Baritone Guitars?

jrm27

• Members

Anyone have one? I'm lookign around trying to get my hands on a few to try them out, but they are few and far between apaprently. Does anyone here have one? What are your thoughts on them? Any recommendations? Anyone selling one?

Thanks!

-jon

• Members

Played one last year -- a Santa Cruz Bob Brozman model. Big, loud, whompy sound -- I think it was tuned down two whole steps. First I'd ever heard of them. My thought then was that it would be a nice complement in a band, maybe even an acceptable substitute for a true bass, but didn't see it as a solo instrument. That one was very pricey. Alvarez-Yairi also makes one, also pricey but less than the SCGC, which I see offered from time to time on ebay.

• Members

I have one. A Larrivee BT-60 (no longer in production; about $2300 new, street price).

I used to have an Avante (from musicYo; about $500).

I like them a lot. They work for solo if you are fingerstyle. I do not like the sound of them when strummed.

SCGC makes a really nice one. not cheap, though.

Here's a couple of tunes I recorded on the Larrivee. (27 inch scale; tuned down a 4th- BEADF#b; strung with D'addario EXP23s, .016-.070)

Blue Moon

Danny Boy

From time-to-time a used Larrivee comes up for sale on the Larrivee forum Marketplace. I believe they built less than 100 in all.

• Members

I have one - a Kronbauer Mini Jumbo. Like Queequeg said I don't really care for the sound of it strummed either. It's great for fingerstyle and sounds amazing in open G (well actually open F). Mine was made to be tuned down a whole step to D so it's technically not a full on baritone which I believe gets tuned all the way down to A. Baritones are a lot of fun but maybe not the best choice if it were your only acoustic guitar.

• Members

Correction. I went back and looked closer at the baritone I thought was a Gibson since it had been quite awhile since I found it.

It's actually a 1933 Martin archtop, F-hole, 4-string, seller lists it a "rare". Finish is a bit beat up but the guitar appears structurally sound. Listed price is $1950.00, might be negotiable.

Archived