Does anyone know anything about Music Go Round?

Raymond55

• Members

I ran across this site the other day and was impressed with their inventory. It appears to be a franchise chain of used instrument stores. I searched for a Norman B20 Folk and found no fewer than five listed. These guitars are not frequently offered, even on eBay, so I don't know how they can get five at one time. Maybe seconds? Maybe new but damaged? Some have pics, some don't, and there's no description. One store has one for $200 (decent price), another for $300 and a third for $400 (higher than new unless it's a/e). But it gets better.

I sent off some emails for more pictures and details as suggested on the site. Almost a week later, nothing. So I sent an email to corporate and suddenly everyone's responding. Now, I've asked for information on Norman B20 Folk guitars. What do I get back? Nice pictures of a Gibson J200 and text saying "here are the pictures of the Norman B20 you asked about."

Do these guys not know what they're selling? I shudder to think what might arrive or when if I actually ordered something from them. Has anyone ever been to one of these stores? It seems like a good concept, but I have my doubts about their execution.

• Members

I only had one experience with Music Go Round. I bought a Crate Stealth amp head a little more than a year ago from one in PA. I think you;d do better to call the stores in question rather than emailing them. I got no response when i emailed, but I called and talked to the manager and he was very friendly.

• Members

It's a used-goods franchise - they also have "Play it Again Sports", etc.

I've found that the stores vary quite a bit in quality and inventory, and it really depends on the management. Some places were more like inexpensive guitars and band (horns and reeds and such) instruments, others had a fair bit of used pro audio, etc.

• Members

They seem to have moved, in the past ten years, from a used-gear store to a low end gear store. I bought a damaged acoustic case there a few years back, and I'm happy with it, but all of it's guitar stock was new and terrible.

+1 On the electric side, I usually can find 2 or 3 MIM fenders, and 1000 pieces of crap.

On the good side the store near me is so crowded with gear, they usuaully leave you alone to wander around and check stuff out. I hate it when some 14 year old kid follows me around, telling me what I already know about the instruments.

And because I don't dress like some BS goth wannabe, they assume I don't know a gibson from a samick...

• Members

Those appear to be good prices. The $200 one must be either used or a second. That's less than a new Art & Lutherie Folk would go for.

Bill

That's what I was thinking, Bill. Guitar Man NYC has a new one for $379, but it's not like I NEED to buy another guitar. If I could get a clean used one for a good price, I might do it.

• Members

Are you referring to the eBay link you sent me? Somebody got a great deal.

Bill

Don't remind me. The guitar didn't sell for $199 a week earlier. Who'da thought it would go for much over $150 the second time around. My consolation is knowing that in an auction, the winning bidder is the one who paid more than everyone else thought it was worth.

But I'd have still bid $200 if I thought I needed to.

Archived