Do you have an addictive personality or does it just apply to guitar ownership?

Abando

• Members

This just in:

Researchers at the Berklee College of Music have discovered a mutated gene in certain subjects which appears to fuel an insatiable desire to purchase guitars. Preliminarily described as the "GAS" gene, it produces over-active receptors in the auditory sectors of the brain. Once stimulated, these receptors block normal rational decision making processes and create the craving for more and varied guitar sounds.

A companion study is focusing on the visual impact of woodgrain and sunburst paint schemes on the study group, which is believed to be strongly related the tonal desires produced by the "GAS" gene. It is believed to be the aesthetic component associated with uncontrollable guitar coveting.

According to researchers, there is no known cure for this condition. Use of conventional medical practices associated with substance abuse and addiction have failed thus far. Further experimentation is hoped to aid in the development of a 12 Fret Program designed to curb the addictive behavior being studied.

There you have it--can't argue with science. :cool:

• Members

This just in:

Researchers at the Berklee College of Music have discovered a mutated gene in certain subjects which appears to fuel an insatiable desire to purchase guitars. Preliminarily described as the "GAS" gene, it produces over-active receptors in the auditory sectors of the brain. Once stimulated, these receptors block normal rational decision making processes and create the craving for more and varied guitar sounds.

A companion study is focusing on the visual impact of woodgrain and sunburst paint schemes on the study group, which is believed to be strongly related the tonal desires produced by the "GAS" gene. It is believed to be the aesthetic component associated with uncontrollable guitar coveting.

According to researchers, there is no known cure for this condition. Use of conventional medical practices associated with substance abuse and addiction have failed thus far. Further experimentation is hoped to aid in the development of a 12 Fret Program designed to curb the addictive behavior being studied.

There you have it--can't argue with science.
:cool:

:thu::thu::thu:

• Members

No cure posted here yet? I'm still jonesing for a new guitar. I'm eating pizza right now. It's helping some but I can't eat that much pizza.

Ah! Yes the Down-trodden...........The Hopelessness of the addiction.

When is enough - enough, the perplexities of life are such a wonderment.

All those Carbs to give you the energy needed for a full day of guitar hunting

just like trying to find that "Hot Dam the Dealer-Man" with the best stuff..

As the endless search fgoes on for that "ONE" - The One that will top all others.

At least you are all carbed up for the Journey.

• Members

It is widely accepted that people of Irish descent, and Native Americans have a predisposition to addiction.

Hey, as an Irish/Native American descendant I take exception to that slur. Hiccup..err..damn, spilled my drink.

:thu: Now I don't need an excuse. I lift my glass...erm....bottle to genetic predisposition. :D

• Members

It is widely accepted that people of Irish descent, and Native Americans have a predisposition to addiction.

Hey, as an Irish/Native American descendant I take exception to that slur. Hiccup..err..damn, spilled my drink.

OK--I'll stick my neck out---further off topic and offensive. My lovely and tolerant wife of 17 years is half Irish and half Polish.

It dawned on me one day to point out to her that by ethnic stereotype, she was a drunken idiot. She forgave me.

• Members

OK--I'll stick my neck out---further off topic and offensive. My lovely and tolerant wife of 17 years is half Irish and half Polish.

It dawned on me one day to point out to her that by ethnic stereotype, she was a drunken idiot. She forgave me.

How much did it cost you to have the doc extract her high-heeled shoe from your arse?

• Members

I am an obsessively addictive personality with a short attention span. I don't do much of anything half-way. Many of my recreational pursuits end up as intense "flash in the pan" endeavors. I have managed to remain involved with guitars, motorcycles and hunting for all of my adult life. Beyond that, other endeavors have come and gone.

Wow, I couldn't have said it better. I remember my bike riding days, got a nice carbon steel bike for $125, spent about $600 on upgrades, mostly Shimano stuff, brakes, rims, gears, pedals, ect. Road the bike for a few months and had a lot of fun and then like that it was over. Not been on a bike since.

I used to take spells in my firearms days were I'd go all hog wild on modern stuff, semi-auto pistols, AR-15's, AK's ect. I'd get my fill then sell em' all off and go into my "Wild West" period of gun collecting. I'd get single actions, lever guns, double barrel shotguns then in a few months I'd get bored with em', sell em' all off and be in a muzzloader period or a archery period,LOL. Now I'm down to one snub nose revolver for home defence and to carry as my CCW gun, I got tired of losing all that money and going thru all the different stages of firearms ownership, I just got burned out. One revolver, I'm fine, don't really care to own anything else.

I really hope that never happens with guitars. Music has been the one constant in my life for as long as I can remember. I'm sure it'll always be there in one form or another. Some how, some way I'll always play something to make music. It's just a part of who I am. :thu:

• Members

Very observant. Hmmm. I'm half Italian (Palermo, Sicily) and half Yugoslavian (Split). Whatcha got for me? This could be an interesting turn for this thread.

No way---I only hurt the ones I love. Besides, I'm half Italian too. You really think I'm gonna dis' someone's Sicilian relatives? Fuggedaboudit...:rolleyes:

• Members

i guess its not quite an addiction but i do obsess over the research that leads up to me absolutely positively having to have that git. once I have the guitar i play it often using my ocd-ishness to try one more time just one more time ok last time no that sucked cant end with that ok pretty good now one more time...until my hands neck shoulder back and hip hurt enuf to make me stop

Archived