Can you recommend a BEGINNER instruction book?

Berkleo

• Members

My college age, classic rock diggin' niece wants to play acoustic. :thu: So my old Lammie Yammie is all shined up and restrung for her. I'd like to get her a good instruction book to start out with. She can't afford lessons. I'm a big fan of Bruce Emery's books so I'll probably pick up a copy of his "Guitar From Scratch." Can anyone recommend another good beginner book for her? Thanks

• Members

Hi, Berkleo - haven't seen you around in a while.
:wave:
Hope you're keeping well and happy.

Head over to Homespun and check out their beginner books. Lots of excellent material to choose from.

http://www.homespuntapes.com/shop/category.aspx?id=324

Hi backatcha Samilyn :wave:

I've been trying to talk/type less and play more...Its been keepin' me happy! But it's always nice to "hear" a friendly voice on the forum.

I've got a boat load of homespun dvds myself and I've found them hit or (frequently) miss. So I was hoping for a really specific/personal reply from someone who has had some success with a specific book.

I love playing and I'm really excited for my niece and I hope she gets the bug too. So I want to start her out right.:blah::blah:

• Members

It'll be wonderful to get your niece started off right.

For a specific recommendation, I'd start with either a Mel Bay book or the Hal Leonard books. I remember Mel Bay books from when I was a beginner (back in the days of the dinosaurs) and they were very easy to understand and the songs in them were songs I wanted to play.

• Members

I have a book on Fingerstyle Blues complete with cd. It's a good study.

Complete title: Fingerpicking Blues Solos. Mel Bay's publication No. MB98634BCD in Mel Bay's "Value Line" pubs, ISBN 0-7866-5070-2. It is presented in standard notation subbed with tab. These are the titles of the 14 tracks:

1. Bob's Blues

2. Oscar's Blues

3. Going Down to Monkey's Eyebrow

4. Frankie & Johnny

5. Blind Scat Rag

6. Lemonade

7. Two Views of Blues

8. Blues for Monday

9. Blues for Amos Johnson

10. Little Hollywood Blues

11. In the Beginning

12. Jazz Blues

13. Blues - E

14. Crossroad Blues

• Members

I have a book on Fingerstyle Blues complete with cd. It's a good study.

Complete title: Fingerpicking Blues Solos. Mel Bay's publication No. MB98634BCD in Mel Bay's "Value Line" pubs, ISBN 0-7866-5070-2. It is presented in standard notation subbed with tab. These are the titles of the 14 tracks:

1. Bob's Blues

2. Oscar's Blues

3. Going Down to Monkey's Eyebrow

4. Frankie & Johnny

5. Blind Scat Rag

6. Lemonade

7. Two Views of Blues

8. Blues for Monday

9. Blues for Amos Johnson

10. Little Hollywood Blues

11. In the Beginning

12. Jazz Blues

13. Blues - E

14. Crossroad Blues

Thanks Melodeous - that's the kind of endorsement I'm lookin' for...I'll check it out...:thu:

Archived