Need Help and Info: Martin J12-16GT Jumbo

UMT

• Members

I have a friend with two girls in college that are busting the bank. He's computer illiterate and asked me to help him sell a couple guitars. I need info on a Martin J12-16 GT 'Gloss Top' Jumbo 12 String. It also has a Fishman pickup installed. Only a few years old and RARELY played. Excellent condition and has a TKL hardshell case.

What did these sell for new and what do you think would be a fair price for one?

Any and all info appreciated. (I'm a Tele guy. I know nothing!)

Thanks!

• Members

I have a friend with two girls in college that are busting the bank. He's computer illiterate and asked me to help him sell a couple guitars. I need info on a Martin J12-16 GT 'Gloss Top' Jumbo 12 String. It also has a Fishman pickup installed. Only a few years old and RARELY played. Excellent condition and has a TKL hardshell case.

What did these sell for new and what do you think would be a fair price for one?

Any and all info appreciated. (I'm a Tele guy. I know nothing!)

Thanks!

Welcome over here at the dark side, Tele guy. A quick search of martins website (mguitars.com) shows the current list price of a J12-16G as $1749 with case and no electronics (the say electronics are optional). A TKL case is a nice one that compares to Martins 380 in quality, and assuming it fits, would probably sell new for about $80 (but where is the case that came with it?).

I'm not directly familiar with the J12-16 but I have played the all mahogany j12-15 (same size body, different tone woods) and I thought it was a heck of a nice guitar, particularly for bluesy kinds of stuff. The jumbo body is a good all around size for a 12, much better than my dreadnaught D12-28, it will be a little better balanced, but still have a good bass growl.

To put the price a little more in perspective, for a new guitar at 1750 a store would pay around 50%, or 875. About the best you will see new guitars discounted (MF, GC etc) is 70% of list, or 1225. That is a new guitar, with factory case and warranty and should have a setup by the seller so the action would be perfect.

My rule of thumb is that a used guitar w/o warranty is never worth more than 50% of list unless it is something pretty special. I then deduct for any issues, wear, setup problems, etc. With any 12 string the action and neck are very suspect, I would want to know that the neck angle is perfect (if not I would ask the original owner to have it fixed under warranty, then I would buy it). So, assuming everything is good on your friends I would say $775 to 875. If they are trying to seel on evil bay or Craigs list I would include a picture of the bridge/saddle and measurements of the action to prove that the neck angle is good (or lay a straightedge on the fretboard and take a pic of the end pointing at the bridge - good neck angle it will just kiss the top of the bridge).

I haven't factored in the Fishman, that probably adds a $100 if it was either factory or a really good installation.

This should be a nice guitar and I hope someone snaps it up. Hope this helps, others might have a better idea of price. A good place to sell it might be the Buy and Sell at UMGF (unofficial martin guitar forum). The even have a sub forum dedicated to 12 strings, you could maybe point to it there.

Archived