Question for anyone who has a Seagull Maritime Mini Jumbo (or access to one)

ChiyoDad

• Members

552475.jpg

I'm looking at the Seagull Maritime Mini Jumbo as a possible addition as a fingerstyle instrument. If you have it, can you tell me what the string spacing is at the saddle? I know that the nut width is 1.8".

548859.jpg

I had considered the Yamaha LJ6 or the LJ16 but those two have a narrower saddle string spacing. Their nut width is 1.75".

Many thanks!

• Members

I have the Seagull Mini-Jumbo Entourage and it sits in my office at work...gets a play every morning at 6:00am :)

SeagullMinijumboresize30.jpg

I sure would like to try a Maritime...should blow the socks off the SMJE...and that would be cool because the one I have is just fine...

I have a LS6...and yes, the saddle spacing is closer than my Larrivee L03R and Seagull. Having said that...I can fingerstyle them all just fine. In fact, I have a Yamaha FG730S and a new/used Blueridge BR-60...both dreads..both fingerstyle fine...It takes but a few seconds to adjust. There was a thread on this last week.

I'm just a normal guy with normal fingers...living a non-normal life...

(I vote Seagull!!!)

• Members

I have the cedar topped version with the cutaway and electronics, but I think the saddle is the same. from E to E, it's 2 8/64 inches, and it's 26/64 inches between each string. The shorter scale-length and wider spacing does make it a comfortable fingerstyle instrument.

Thanks ss! I'm assuming that 2-8/64 inches from outer side of the 6th string to the outer side of the 1st string. Am I correct?

Or did you measure from the inner sides of the strings?

• Members

I have a LS6...and yes, the saddle spacing is closer than my Larrivee L03R and Seagull. Having said that...I can fingerstyle them all just fine. In fact, I have a Yamaha FG730S and a new/used Blueridge BR-60...both dreads..both fingerstyle fine...It takes but a few seconds to adjust. There was a thread on this last week.

I'm just a normal guy with normal fingers...living a non-normal life...

Same here, outdoorgb. It's just that it might be my last purchase for a long time so I think I'm entitled to be selective. ;):lol:

• Members

Hi ChiyoDad, I can't quite remember where I measured from, and if I can't do it again now without waking up the house. I'm pretty sure I did measure from the outer edges of the E strings. I measured the adjacent strings using the center of the two unwound strings. Looks like you'll be picking a winner either way :thu:

• Members

Yamaha LS6 string width (outside to outside with 12-54 stings)

Nut = 1.488

Saddle = 2.134

compared to my Larrivee L03R

Nut = 1.532

Saddle = 2.220

So assuming that ss's measurement is comparable, then the Seagull is probably the same or slightly narrower at the saddle (2 8/64 = 2.125) than the Yamaha. My preferred steel-string fingerstyle is 2.312 at the saddle and 1.515 at the nut (with a 1 3/4" nut).

I'll need to think about this. Many thanks for sharing those measurements.

• Members

Hm, yeah, I do remember thinking that the seagull's string width changes less from nut to saddle than my blueridge and that even though it has a wider nut, there really wasn't too much more room for the picking hand. I'll remeasure in a little bit to make sure.

Edit: if anyone else with a minijumbo want to confirm my measurements as well, that'd be great.

• Members

The 12th Fret shop has a page for the older version of the mini jumbo with a measured saddle string spacing of 2.156 which is not that far off from your measurement.

I think the bottomline is that the Yamaha and the Seagull are about the same in string spacing. So the tie-breaker would be tone if I decided to go for either one.

It's tough finding a wide and deep-body guitar that's truly built for fingerstyle. I've seen one from James Goodall but his guitars cost more than $4000.

Archived