Acoustic guitar repair in Chicago

Untone

• Members

There are two technicians that I can recommend with the utmost confidence. Terry at Guitar Works Ltd - it's in Evanston so if you live on the north end of town it's pretty close. I currently have my Augustino dread with Terry as he is doing a neck reset and some other work. Terry puts a lot of love and pride in his work. This place also has the best assortment of high-end acoustic guitars in the city.

The other place that does strictly repairs (it is not a retail guitar shop like the above) is called Third Coast Guitars - it's downtown in the warehouse district. They have like 12 techs and all they do is guitar repairs, excellent work.

So depending on where you live - either one of the above places won't disappoint. You can take your baby there with confidence knowing it will come back repaired correctly with a lot of love and care! Good luck.

brent

• Members

Rhythmdoc,

About Terry at Guitar Works, you're confident in him for a cracked neck..making a well thought out repair etc?

MattSkiba,

What'd you have done on your Strat at Thrid Coast..?

JRubicon,,thanks, I'm hunting the city mostly, but if you have a particular person at Music Gallery who is outstanding I'll look into it..

I'm shopping carefully because I've had not so well executed repairs done in the past and this one needs brains and heart...

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

• Members

Rhythmdoc,

About Terry at Guitar Works, you're confident in him for a cracked neck..making a well thought out repair etc?

MattSkiba,

What'd you have done on your Strat at Thrid Coast..?

JRubicon,,thanks, I'm hunting the city mostly, but if you have a particular person at Music Gallery who is outstanding I'll look into it..

I'm shopping carefully because I've had not so well executed repairs done in the past and this one needs brains and heart...

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

Just a fret level and resoldering of some wonky electronics.

• Members

HI Buck,

I'm near downtown, Division and Ashland area Ukranian Village.

You're pretty close to Schroeder Guitar Repair, they're practically right down the street from you at 1455 W Hubbard (Phone 312-226-9668)

http://www.schroederguitarrepair.com/

Talk to Tim, he does phenomenal work and he's a really nice guy. He recently did a partial re-fret on my partner's $2,500 Northwood acoustic and did a wonderful job. My partner left a nice "testimonial" on their website (Bob W. - Shining Star Studio)

Third Coast was also mentioned here. I don't have any personal experience with Third Coast, but I've heard a mixed review or two about them.

If you want to get your neck done as well as Tim at Schroeder would do it, but you want to save some $$$, you should go to Players Guitars @ 6961 W 111th St. in Worth, Illinois (Phone 708-671-0710). This is where I've had all my guitars worked on for several years now. Jerry and Mike are awesome. They're usually about 1/3 cheaper than every other guitar shop in the area for repairs. They're probably a 30 minute ride from where you're at, but if the repair is costly, it might be worth the drive.

Hope that helps.

• Members

Buck,

Schroeder..is he right next door to that guitar/music shop called Making Music? They've moved a couple of times but I remember the last time I popped in, probably their last move, there was a guitar repair next door, or in the same building. I'l check him out.

Jerry and Mike sound interesting and I'm on the south side quite a bit, probably give them a call.

Rhythmdoc,

Can you give me your opinion on the repair pricing at Guitar Works in Evanston? I've been told it's a bit high but I don't know what they're comparing it too...

• Members

When I lived in Illinois I used a guy in Champaign. He was incredible. He was also a violin maker. I found him by calling "Axe in the Hand" and asking for someone good. I believe Axe in the Hand is still in business. They had a shop in Dekalb, IL and later Schaumburg, IL. You might want to call them and see who they recommend. They were a Guild dealer and vintage collector shop.

Archived