acoustic blues question

darksun

• Members

im currently learning a blues song in A which uses double stops on the verse but i think this sounds thin if playing alone without backing, would you play the full chords there and "drop in" the extra note of the double stop where appropriate? open or barre chords?

• Members

I had similar questions a few weeks ago. I had to learn "Help me" by Sonny Boy Williamson but I decided to play it on acoustic. Single string lines were too thin for my taste. I decided to double the basic line. It sounded better. My acoustic guitar being in an alt. tuning, I can't tell you exactly how I harmonized the basic line (a combination of 4th and 5th). Finally, I doubled the acoustic guitar with a distorted Tele with some heavy reverb.

Basically, the point I'm making is that you need to experiment to get the sound you want/need.

Here's the quick demo I recorded:

[YOUTUBE]2PN7Nu11zFA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

DGDGBD

that's open G...are you capoing it at the second fret?

Well I'm just gonna assume you are...Anyway I think a lot of the charm of rustic old blues is when the guitar does play thin lines in places along with the singing and then the chording jumps in at other times.

It creates this haunting backing to the song. Sort of a lone lonesome wail that cuts through in its simplicity.

• Members
I'm not!
:thu:

So you're playing a blues in the key of A but your guitar is tuned to open G and you aren't using a capo...

So basically you are barring your finger on the 2nd fret a lot?

I'd recommend either tuning everything up to A (which might be hard on the guitar) or capoing to free your fingers up and allow strings to ring out....

Unless you're just playing in G and not A like you said.

Somethings not right...:confused:

• Members
So you're playing a blues in the key of A but your guitar is tuned to open G and you aren't using a capo...

So basically you are barring your finger on the 2nd fret a lot?

I'd recommend either tuning everything up to A (which might be hard on the guitar) or capoing to free your fingers up and allow strings to ring out....

Unless you're just playing in G and not A like you said.

Somethings not right...
:confused:

Ha ha!

Don't discount the obvious explanation. I just grabbed the guitar as it was tuned and didn't bother to retune it... I just quickly figured the proper fingering and played away... :cop:

• Members
When I don't like the sound of something, irrespective of how it may be written, I change it.

If it sounds thin to you, play the full chord then.

Make it your own.

(good to see you again, Darksun)

hey Q how you been? hav,nt been around for a while, im spending a lot of time looking at youtube, trying to find clips of whatever song im working on.

Archived