How often do you use a capo?

KATMAN

• Members

I use one all the time. I don't have a huge vocal range, so I change the key on about 50% of the songs I sing, often into flat or sharp keys. Also, being a solo acoustic strummer, I try to play mostly open chords, as they sound more full than bar chords. A capo helps me do this easily.

Generally, I prefer the Shubb, as I think it does a good job of holding the guitar in tune. At gigs, I use a Kyser, because it's quicker to change and clamps easily on the headstock when not in use.

• Members
I have a high voice, so covers normally need to be raised a couple of semi-tones at least... and I also use it occasionally on my original songs.

I have one of these... at the moment.

kyser%20capo%20west.jpg

I've been through about 5 capos in the last year, I have a habit of losing them / leaving them at gigs.

It looks like your lost capos are finding their way to Florida. I think I have about four of those lying about.

I play a lot of drop-D, so I just capo on up the neck and transpose as I go: Eb/E/F (first second and third fret) mostly.

• Members

on my original songs, almost always. out of 12 songs 11 use a capo. i use a short cut capo for a few, and full capo on the 2nd or 3rd fret for the rest. it just seems like its all been done without a capo. i know that in reality thats not true, but in my genre it just seems like id be playing another song in G, or E, or A, or... using a capo allows me to play/write songs that sound more original (whether the chord progressions, etc. actually are original is debateable).

• Members

oh, and i use the kyser capos for the same reason TAH mentioned. i like to be able to clip it on the headstock. ill glady tune a little after placing the capo if i dont have to worry about where i set it down, or it falling off the stage, etc.

• Members

My 12er is always tuned down, so I use a capo when I'm too mentally lazy to transpose on the fly during a jam or sometimes in the studio and the producer says "Sing that at a higher pitch". (ouch..those high notes hurt...LOL)

I don't like 'em, though, and neither does my git. It does, however, tolerate the Kyser better than other capos I've tried.

• Members

Yeah I tune down to sing some higher songs so I have to use a capo or other tunes sound too low vocally. I can't use the Kyser (tuning) and like the Shubb for the same reasons Bobalofish mentioned.

When standing, I hook the shubb onto my jean pocket so its just as handy as being on the headstock. Either that or it sits next to the harmonica's.

• Members

I use a capo more often than not, mainly because of a low and not very wide vocal range, but also sometimes I just like the chord voicings at a higher pitch. I used to use Dunlop trigger-type. Now I like Kysers (easier to grab/move)

PS I hate barre chords. I avoid them at all costs.

Ditto on the vocal range comment. If I've got a 2 hour set and no capo, I've got to go home after the first half hour. Also...Many of the fingerstyle arrangements I play (especially in open tunings) work a lot better with a capo installed. I prefer Shubb for the low profile...Also they're bulletproof. My newest one is 6 years old.

Archived