An Evening with Rory Block

Freeman Keller

• Members

Small venue in Spokane, sitting at her feet in the front row. Rory is probably the most powerful blues singer alive today - both her playing and singing are simply incredible. Her last cd was dedicated to Robert Johnson, the newest to Son House. She grew up surrounded by some of the blues greats - Gary Davis, John Hurt, Fred McDowell, House - and is doing her darnest to keep their music alive.

We chatted after the show, I told her that I had first heard her music 35 years ago and bought it on vinyl, and had been a fan for all those years.

Recommended

• Members

I've only got one of her CD's from a few years ago, but I just assumed she was a younger Blues"man".

I really like the raw edge she puts into the music, but I sure never head of her 35 years ago. :confused:

Can you recommend some of her earlier stuff for listening?

Ian

• Members

Small venue in Spokane, sitting at her feet in the front row. Rory is probably the most powerful blues singer alive today - both her playing and singing are simply incredible. Her last cd was dedicated to Robert Johnson, the newest to Son House. She grew up surrounded by some of the blues greats - Gary Davis, John Hurt, Fred McDowell, House - and is doing her darnest to keep their music alive.

We chatted after the show, I told her that I had first heard her music 35 years ago and bought it on vinyl, and had been a fan for all those years.

Recommended

Sounds like a good time, Freeman. I went to youtube and listened to a few tunes she's done, and she sounds great. I'm jealous.:cool:

I've been to seen Bonnie Raitt 6 times over the last 30 years, in small and large venues, and IMHO Bonnie is the most powerful blues singer alive today. Of course I never had the chance to chat with Bonnie.:cry:

Check out what she does on her Guild with this tune.

[YOUTUBE]SXVoOgwiYc8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I love her and her cool Martin! Great story; Dick Boak brought her a prototype of the guitar to a Martin Gathering. If you haven't seen her, she basicly beats the hell out of her guitars. Long story short, it came apart.

(I think it was) Roy Rodgers said "Little lady do you wanna use mine?" She thanked him and declined. Mr Boak put the guitar together with Duc Tape and sent her onto the stage.

Her tutoral DVD is great. Someday I might be good enough at slide to do more than be amazed by it!

• Members

I've got mad respect for that woman--I think she's been very bold to go down the hardcore blues road, and she's clearly got an extreme passion for it that I can relate to. I'll bet it was a fantastic show!

• Members

I love her and her cool Martin! Great story; Dick Boak brought her a prototype of the guitar to a Martin Gathering. If you haven't seen her, she basicly beats the hell out of her guitars. Long story short, it came apart.

(I think it was) Roy Rodgers said "Little lady do you wanna use mine?" She thanked him and declined. Mr Boak put the guitar together with Duc Tape and sent her onto the stage.

Her tutoral DVD is great. Someday I might be good enough at slide to do more than be amazed by it!

She had four of her OM sized Martins on stage, but instead of having one in each of several tunings, she would play one for several songs, retuning as required (jumped back and forth between standard and open G a lot). Had a piece of duct tape on a finger from an injury at Prairie Home Companion the week before( "the black stuff seems to stay on better than the grey....", her socket wrench on her third finger ("14 mm, my mechanic lets me rummage through his tool box..."), her final song was an acappella thing that when she finished the guy next to me had tears rolling down his checks and simply said "wow".

She credits Bonnie Raitt, Clapton, Grossman and several others on he Son House cd for keeping the blues alive - but in my opinion, she is largely responsible for that herself. Incredible woman, incredible performer, incredible music. "Blues walking like a man"

Archived