which archtop acoustic?

kcswimjustin

• Members

I'm looking at buying an archtop acoustic but want to do it within a reasonable budget (less than $1200, if I can) and was wondering if anyone has thoughts on what they'd pick between:

-a used late 1940's Gibson L-50

-a new Loar LH-600

-an Eastman Jim Fisch archtop

I guess the Godin 5th Avenues would be fine to look at, though I've heard mixed reviews. I'm just looking for something I can use for a Freddie Green/western swing/chunky rhythm sound. Pickups aren't important to me.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

• Members

Three very tempting ideas!

I think it'd be cool to have one of those old Gibby archies. If you can find a good deal and in good condition, I'd go for one of those.

I researched that Loar, but I haven't played one. It looks great and the youtube vids I've seen indicate that it has a cool sound (as much as can be ascertained from youtube).

The Eastman Jim Fisch appears to be a cutaway, which is a bit different than the other two you've mentioned. I kinda dig the non-cutaway mojo, but I love having the upper access (my main gighorse is Gitane D500 with that old style Macca cutaway). Honestly, I don't really get too far past the 15th fret -- and that's maybe once a set. So cutaway may just be a mind thing.

Okay, so I haven't really helped too much. Tough decision! :)

Have you played any of these or have access? Barring that, I'd guess you've read up on them.

Make sure to include some kind of case in your budget.

• Members

I would add the Gretsch G400 Synchromatic to your list: they go for $1500 new, so I guess a 2nd hand one would be within your price range.

They are 17", (3.5'' depth) carved spruce top acoustic archtops.

G400_md.jpg
(cutaway version available)

:idk:

Archived