this problem has beaten me .... help required plzzz

rickoshea

• Members
that it is ... damned strange. Measurements to be done in the morning to compare with Garys then maybe I can get to the bottom of things
:)

I'd tend to set neck relief at 0.010" and take things from that point onward, as you'd be surprised just how little an adjustment it takes to eliminate lower fret buzz. You can always decrease relief until you reach a point where you're able to force a buzz with heavier thumb picking and increase slightly if you wish to use heavier attack. The next option would be increase your action height from low to medium:low in order to compensate, but you don't want relief to be any more than 0.010".

The main reason for my line of thinking is that it was playing and sounding fine prior to the string change, but began buzzing afterward.

If all else fails and you find the nut slots are cut too low, you can always do a baking soda/bicarb and superglue nut slot repair. You need masking tape, superglue, bicarb, feeler gauge set and a suitable needle file/files.

Nut files are great, but far too expensive to justify for this kind of one off repair or nut set-up and needle files are what we used before joint round/nut files came into vogue.

• Members

Here is the unscientific way I find unwanted rattles:

1) If it doesnt rattle on an open string, but only when fretted, I capo to that point so that the reattle can reproduced with just one hand.

2) Use my free hand to systematically go over each of the tuners while the rattle is happening. I hold the top and bottom of each tuner. If the noise stops I dig deeper at that tuner.

3) if it isnt the tuners, I again reproduce the rattle while my free hand moves around the soundboard, bridge, saddle. If the rattle is coming from underneath, the sound will change/stop when you are over the bad spot.

This technique has worked well for me. One thing I have found is that I am often surprised at the location when I finally find it, That is to say that even though I would have sworn it was coming from location "A", it will often be on the opposite end of the guitar.

Good Luck!

• Members

Thanks again all :) ... it has settled a touch and doesn't bug me too much unless i'm hard hitting with my thumb. Totamus - I used the same scientific approach lol. Sadly to no avail, its probably the nut slot depth has increased a touch combined with me loosening all the strings at once affecting neck relief. Interesting one though - its never happened to me before.

• Members
Thanks again all
:)
... it has settled a touch and doesn't bug me too much unless i'm hard hitting with my thumb. Totamus - I used the same scientific approach lol. Sadly to no avail, its probably the nut slot depth has increased a touch combined with me loosening all the strings at once affecting neck relief. Interesting one though - its never happened to me before.

No probs mate. :thu:

What does the neck relief measure in at now?

Archived