1979 D28 question

Iwasonlyhuman

• Members

I couldn't get much help on the other board I go to so I thought I would ask here as well. I ran into a nice used D28 from the late 70's at GC today and wanted to ask a few things. Can't post the price, but it is negotiable and already at a decent starting price (surprising for GC). It sounded nice, played well from what I could tell, and it was in loved but good condition. I know that the ones made in the 70s were known to be hit and miss, with bridge issues, pin problems, and other little oddities. I was wondering if this was only the earlier models (as I heard) or if this was spanning the whole 70s. Also, does anyone have any general opinions about these late models? Thanks for any advice and help

• Members

I too have a played a few duds. Everyone makes them. You say you played it, liked it, and the price seemed fair...if you want a D28, then why not buy it?
I have seen them go for as little as $1300 used, all different years, and condition. Check Ebay, check your local Craigslistings. You should be able to get an idea of what they go for in your neck of the woods. Personally, anything over $1500 would have to be in perfect condition for me to want it. And more importantly, it would have to shake my tree. They can be great guitars. keep in mind that a reset is about $400-500. Check the neck, bridge, action, and saddle.

• Members

Yea I think there was this resistance on Martin's part to install adjustable rods because Gibson was doing it... and Martin had a long history of saying they weren't necessary if the guitar was built correctly... blah blah blah.

But as far as your particular guitar, if it sounds and plays good, that's all that matters. There were some excellent Martins made in the 70's....just a higher percentage of ones with issues.But not 100% bad by any means.

• Members

I have an 84 and love it. I probably would not get a 79 though. Not because of quality, but because of the missing adjustable truss rod. As I recall, it wasn't until 83 that Martin went to an adjustable truss rod.

OTOH, these necks seem to be remarkably stable. Both my 1974 D18 and 1980 D12-28 have exactly 0.010 relief which is just perfect. One thing to be very aware of is that many 70's martins are due for a neck reset - measure that carefully and factor into the price. Also, read Kimsey's articles on what to look for in 70's martins

http://www.bryankimsey.com/

Archived