Playing classical guitar without lessons.

KATMAN

• Members

I'd like to get into playing classical guitar,mostly Christmas music and old gospel hymns. I have no classical lessons,or lessons of any kind.I have a lot of questions about it.Does classical guitar music use difficult chords,or just regular and barre chords? Would it make a difference in how you fingerpick? I know that a schooled player will do things more to the book. Is there dvds or YouTube lessons out there I can check out? Thanks.

• Members

Tuned to concert pitch, the classical guitar uses the same chords etc. Some chords are more difficult than others, but that has little to do with whether it's classical or not.

Fingerpicking styles may vary, positions may vary, and 'proper' technique is another issue as well, but if what you want to play are Christmas songs and hymns, there shouldn't be a big problem with any of that, or odd chords.

• Members

I've been playing for over 25 years.Of course I'm not as good as I'd like to be.My fingerstyle is I use my thumb,index and middle fingers only.I've tried to do it the "correct" way,but it doesn't feel right to me.Who wouldn't want to play like the true masters out there? Anyway,I'll check those out.Thanks again.

• Members

Aaron Shearer Classical Guitar Method AFAIK is the standard teaching book used. It will give you a lot of good basics. Otherwise Pete Huttlingers DVDs are a good fingerstyle resource as you seem interested in playing popular music also.

Archived