Boulder Creek Guitars?

• Members

Anyone heard of them? Anyone played one? Any thoughts?

This keeps showing up on my local Craig's List:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/1763084356.html

The more it shows up, the more I'm intrigued by it. At first I was like, "Meh . . . missing the soundhole." But now, after reading some glowing reviews, I'm starting to wonder if maybe it would be worth checking out.

It seems like everyone that's written a review thinks that they're the best thing since sliced bread and peanut butter, but I haven't been able to find very many reviews. Are people just raving about it because it's different, or is it actually worth raving about? Any idea as to where they're made? No one seems to know, but since they don't trump up the fact that they're made in the US, my guess is that they're not.

What say ye?

EDIT: Did some Googling and found that they're made in China.

• Members

Gull,

The design looks very intriguing, reminds you of McPherson or Batson guitars priced $K's. However, I tried 3-4 Boulder Creeks and I think the sound was just mediocre. Yamaha or Seagull or Masterbilt are way better.

• Members

Gull,

The design looks very intriguing, reminds you of McPherson or Batson guitars priced $K's. However, I tried 3-4 Boulder Creeks and I think the sound was just mediocre. Yamaha or Seagull or Masterbilt are way better.

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. It's always good to hear some contrasting reviews :).

• Members

One more observation...

The soundport is supposed to let you hear better / produce more volume to you the player. I didn't find it to be the case. The volume that I perceived was not noticeably different from guitar with regular soundhole.

• Members

One more observation...

The soundport is supposed to let you hear better / produce more volume to you the player. I didn't find it to be the case. The volume that I perceived was not noticeably different from guitar with regular soundhole.

Admittedly, I have never played a guitar with a sound port. However, I've read others who say they have and got the same results........no big difference in sound to you, the player.

I'm of the opinion that if sound ports were so great every manufacturer out there would have sound port models in their lineup.....which, as we know, just isn't the case. At the same time, people who've paid their luthier $100 to chop another hole in their guitar are gonna brag about how much better it sounds.......somebody has to do it, I guess. I suppose it COULD make a difference in some cases. For now, I'll stay with the tried and true designs for my guitars. They sound pretty good to me just the way they are.

• Members

I watched a youtube video when I first heard of them. Not for me.

I watched a few YouTube vids as well. It seems like they were sorely lacking in bass. Lots of high end and not much else. Not unpleasant sounding, but not balanced either.

I think I'll pass on it. If the guy was a little closer, I might make a trip just to try it out and see what all the hype is about, but he's a good hike from my place.

Archived