Are these specs right for a Yamaha DW15?

johnkline

• Members

I was browsing a review for a Blueridge BR-160 when I came across the next review, the Yamaha DW15. It's a model I've never seen mentioned around here with all the yammie lovers. Apparently it has solid rosewood back and sides, with an ebony fingerboard. Some people have said it had englemann spruce. Here's the review copy and pasted. Anyone seen this model around?

Here's the article link:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag131/feature131.html

Yamaha DW15

$549 "street price" without case. Limited lifetime warranty. Solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard and bridge, unscalloped braces, dovetail neck joint, high gloss polyester/polyurethane finish, generic tuners. 25 9/16-inch scale. Nut width: 1 11/16 inches. String spacing at the bridge: 2 3/32 inches. Made in Taiwan.

As one of the most respected makers of affordable stringed instruments, Yamaha Guitars has its own reputation to live up to. The DW15 is a classy instrument whose appearance belies its affordability. Visually high-grade materials, enough appointments to keep it from looking bare, and nice fit and finish made this a nice dreadnought, although it was a bit on the heavy side.

Yamaha chose a pronounced V shape for the DW15's neck. While favored by many players who reach around the neck with their thumb, those with a more classically oriented left-hand technique may find this shape uncomfortable. The guitar was set up to play very easily, but it rattled and buzzed a bit in several positions. Nevertheless, the DW15 sounded best under a fairly strong attack, which brought out mature tones that Simmons found "typical of rosewood dreadnoughts." We weren't able to get the DW15's voice to blossom with a softer fingerstyle attack. Overall, this is a vesatile instrument with a somewhat dark character.

• 1 month later...

Archived