I find that nylon guitars are very relaxing.

KATMAN

• Members

It's been a couple of days since I've used a pick,thumb or otherwise.I've been playing my nylon sting guitar and find it's relaxing to play.No straining to get loud sounds,fingers don't hurt after long hours of playing,etc.I've been trying to play "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" fingerstyle.I wish the neck was a bit larger.It's a Yamaha APX-5NA,the body is thin and the fretboard/nut is thinner also than a full size classical.Makes a good stage guitar because of the electronics,but lacks sound of a full size classical unplugged.

After playing it a couple of days,I can see why a lot of folks perfer nylon strings.I'm looking forward saving up for a decent low priced classical.I wished that I had the money to take classical guitar lessons. At 52 and almost 30 years of playing,I still find learning different things about the guitar.There's so much of the instrument to learn,so little time.

• Members

KATMAN,

Gd post and ive never really tried a nylon stringed guitar..maybe i should

but then again i only strum for now and into rock music / and maybe get into Country music.. sometime

But gd for a beginner and possibly more so a young say person to learn on as nylon strings dont hurt the fingers..
thats what put some young people off fae playing the guitar sore fingers on a steel string..Anyhow keep enjoying the guitar :thu:

• Members

When I was a beginner,I bought a Conn six string dreadnaught and play at standard tuning with medium strings. I wouldn't really advise a person to start on a classical guitar,but it does have advantages.A lot of kids now days start on the electric and then run in trouble when switching to acoustic because of wider necks,heavier strings and higher action.

I have several guitars that have a difference in neck widths. After 30 years of playing,and lots of guitars,I don't have the problem getting used to playing any guitars. Maybe a 8-10 string classical,but I don't see the sense in playing them any time soon.

• Members

Agree about nylon-stringed guitars being relaxing. I bought an inexpensive OM sized nylon cutaway in Cebu, Philippines last year. It doesn't sound that great, but it's a perfect late-night, trying to play quietly, easy on the fingers, get creative little guitar. Makes me think about investing in a 'real' nylon or classical later on down the road.

Paul

• Members

I've been trying to play "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" fingerstyle.

Ah, I can appreciate that sentiment totally (the ease on fingers and nylon strings). As for "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", well, here is ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro paying homage to George Harrison...

http://ukuleledisco.com/jake

Ever see someone shredd on a uke... simply incredible and a really humble and nice guy.

• Members

Been playing one lately. My band has done a wedding almost every Saturday this Summer. As an added value, Our guitar player will play some tunes on cello, and I accompany him on guitar. Last few, I've been using a classical. I've really been enjoying it.

Now, I don't have any idea of how to play it properly, but I play a little banjo and can use my fingers, so it's nip and tuck. But very soothing. Balance, and the way they generate tone is sooo differant.

• Members
Ah, I can appreciate that sentiment totally (the ease on fingers and nylon strings). As for "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", well, here is ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro paying homage to George Harrison...

http://ukuleledisco.com/jake

Ever see someone shredd on a uke... simply incredible and a really humble and nice guy.

I've seen this before.......and never get tired of it! :thu:

Archived