Martin Guitars- any better to buy an older one?

Hoodoo

• Members

I'm looking at getting an inexpensive Martin DM. My question- does it matter the year? I've found one dated 1997, 2002 and 2005. Also, what kind of pickup is suggested for a dreadnought guitar like this? It will be going through a PA, not an amp.

Any help?

Thanks!

• Members

I'm looking at getting an inexpensive Martin DM. My question- does it matter the year? I've found one dated 1997, 2002 and 2005. Also, what kind of pickup is suggested for a dreadnought guitar like this? It will be going through a PA, not an amp.

Any help?

Thanks!

The main problem that I have found with older guitars that aren't necessarily "collectible" is fret and fretboard wear. Why buy an older guitar that you have to turn around and spend a bunch of money on to get it up to playing condition. If you buy an older one, get a good look at the fretwork.

I have Bill Lawrence Soundhole, I think it is an A345. I love it and it works just fine in a pinch. You can get them pretty cheap on ebay. However, you've got a hanging wire out front, if that bothers you, you can wire them into an end pin jack. Just a suggestion, there are a lot of good pickups out there.

Archived