Gibson DSM

TheBoatCanDream

• Members

I'm thinking about getting a used DSM someone is selling. I've read the reviews and the posts people made, but I don't feel like they helped enough.

I've found that most Gibsons and Guilds have a very focussed top and bottom end, and Taylors are just too bright. The only Martins I love are either really old, or from the Adirondack series, although the D-18 has some good things going on. I haven't been able to locate a DSR for comparison.

The DSM seems to have a very balanced, natural sound, but with less bass end than I'm used to. The guitar is resonant, but isn't extremely lively. I'm interested in it because the tone is very balanced though, and I actually need a guitar with less bass and clean highs for recording. It's in OK shape.

If it was $400, I'd buy it with no hesitation. It's a bit more than that though so I'm taking it one step at a time. It's the only guitar under a grand that has left an impression with me. All others in the price range have had problems like tinny or cheap sounding highs, uneven mids, or lacking resonance. This DSM seems like something that doesn't have any major problems and can get the job done. Any advice?

Archived