Didnt know this...attack content

andy thompson

• Members

Never seen this mentioned here,although I might have missed it..

Re position of right hand..."Keep thumb in front of fingers"...right Im fairly satisfied with that, I try and transcribe an arc parallel to sound hole, paying attention to relative position to bridge ie over soundhole, towards bridge (Sharper more focused) or neck side of sound hole (Softer).

What I didnt know, (Maybe its only for classical guitars) is ..if we assume, looking from above, the fingers (I,M,A,) are normally perpendicular to strings, then varying this position, for instance opening the angle between fingers and neck, or opening the knuckles away from sound board will induce a softer tone. Closing the knuckle line, therefore closing the angle of the fingers neck and strings makes for a percussive tone.

Saw John Williams explain this in an interview..think Ive got it right.

He was also asked how difficult he found it with relatively small hands, he just rolled his eyes, said he had quite a good stretch and that the only prerequisite was to have good nails.

Anyone incorporate this into their style..?

• Members

When I'm holding the guitar 'classical style' (cradled between legs), my thumb tends to be ahead of the fingers. When I'm holding it 'western style' (over the right leg) and my hand moves upward toward the neck, sometimes the index finger is a bit closer to the neck than the thumb.

• Members

Yeah sorry,Im not explaining this right.

OK ..Imagine just one finger, on its own, cut off at the wrist knuckle. Looking from above the finger is perpendicular to strings,,(In both planes) If the bloody end of the finger is moved towards the neck it will soften tone. if its towards the bridge ie the tip is further towards the neck than the congealing stump it will become more percussive.

Guess I failed the Stephen King audition huh.

By the way B"B you have a very similar taste in music...Jansch..Graham..Renbourn

• Members

Yeah sorry,Im not explaining this right.

OK ..Imagine just one finger, on its own, cut off at the wrist knuckle. Looking from above the finger is perpendicular to strings,,(In both planes) If the bloody end of the finger is moved towards the neck it will soften tone. if its towards the bridge ie the tip is further towards the neck than the congealing stump it will become more percussive.

Guess I failed the Stephen King audition huh.

By the way B"B you have a very similar taste in music...Jansch..Graham..Renbourn

I had to stop reading that part way through. The imagery was little too 'colorful' for my tastes. :D

I'm completely unschooled in technique, myself. Everything I picked up (I'm no great shakes, mind you), I either picked up on the street or stumbled on in my own playing.

• Members

Yeah thats what I said :facepalm: Just kidding. Shes great, some people just have natural communication, an inate desire to impart knowledge. Ill check the other 3 out soon. One thing though..Ill check, but I think Carlos Bonelli advised the movement coming from the second knuckle.

Im a long way off nuances yet Riff, a lonng long way, it just made me think that I could have got a more percussive, responsive tone BY MY ACTIONS AND NOT BUYING A DIFFERENT GUITAR. C"est la vie.

• Members

it just made me think that I could have got a more percussive, responsive tone BY MY ACTIONS AND NOT BUYING A DIFFERENT GUITAR

I have yet to find a situation where buying a new guitar was not a good solution! ;)

For getting a good sound playing a guitar fingerstyle, technique certainly plays a large part.

Archived