Humbled again...Lesson loft content

andy thompson

• Members

Wow, thought Id spend a bit of time getting familiar with circle of fifths, roots or tonics etc, which scales to learn, basically try and get a practice regime in place for when I get my next guitar.

Man, I dont know what their talking about, yeah Ive heard of modes and 7ths,augmented, diminished etc, and if I had a specific chord fingering to work out, I could probably do it..slowly, with reference to books.

I can troll through ebay thinking yeah, thats good, a few chords and instrumental tab, but...hummpphh I know jack s**t about theory really.

It really hit me, I think Ive found my next plateau.....anyone go over there at all.

Wish I had Brahmz 123 intellect..guess I dont deserve it, as I havent put in the study.

• Members

Funny you should mention this! I have a very good friend coming over right now to school me in this kind of stuff! He was a teacher at some music college and plays incredible jazz guitar. He sends me stuff in emails and such and I scratch my head and it is really cool that he is coming over to play this afternoon. I might even learn something, I am very undisciplined

Bob

• Members

I never finished the degree, but I went to college as a music theory/composition major. I strongly recommend anyone interested in music to take Music Theory 1 at the local college. You'll spend a lot of time writing 4 part chorales and trying to avoid parallel octaves...that doesn't translate too too well to guitar, but it really does give you a great foundation for the how's and why's of tonal music.

Working with the notes on paper and thinking through the patterns in your head really gives you a different perspective than you get working it out on just the fretboard.

Of course you can play without a lick of theory. Playing the perfect note is way more important than knowing why it was the perfect note, but if you'd really like to get a handle on this kind of stuff, one shouldn't discount traditional education methods. Take a look at the local community college and see what they offer!

• Members

I never finished the degree, but I went to college as a music theory/composition major. I strongly recommend anyone interested in music to take Music Theory 1 at the local college. You'll spend a lot of time writing 4 part chorales and trying to avoid parallel octaves...that doesn't translate too too well to guitar, but it really does give you a great foundation for the how's and why's of tonal music.

Working with the notes on paper and thinking through the patterns in your head really gives you a different perspective than you get working it out on just the fretboard.

Of course you can play without a lick of theory. Playing the perfect note is way more important than knowing why it was the perfect note, but if you'd really like to get a handle on this kind of stuff, one shouldn't discount traditional education methods. Take a look at the local community college and see what they offer!

+1 to all of this.

• Members

There is a university within driving distance. My alma mater, as a matter of fact. (Non music degree.) I just perused their catalog. Music theory 118 looks like the thing to take. I can audit the class for not a lot of cabbage.

One problem. The prerequisites are an audition and an exam. I'm screwed. :mad:

• Members

There is a university within driving distance. My alma mater, as a matter of fact. (Non music degree.) I just perused their catalog. Music theory 118 looks like the thing to take. I can audit the class for not a lot of cabbage.

One problem. The prerequisites are an audition and an exam. I'm screwed.
:mad:

An audition for a music theory class???? But what if the student wants to take theory in preparation for learning to play an instrument - any instrument at all? What is the poor soul supposed to audition with, a kazoo? :idk:

Or is the class you're looking at a more advanced one?

• Members

An audition for a music theory class???? But what if the student wants to take theory in preparation for learning to play an instrument - any instrument at all? What is the poor soul supposed to audition with, a kazoo?
:idk:

Thats what I was thinking.

Wow Fret, you would do it full time?

• Members

An audition for a music theory class???? But what if the student wants to take theory in preparation for learning to play an instrument - any instrument at all? What is the poor soul supposed to audition with, a kazoo?
:idk:

It's a 100 series class. That's college entry level stuff. It's not surprising really.

They are expecting applicants to be pursuing a degree in music, and to already have some musical background. I bet Ellen has some idea of what they would be expecting.

• Members

It's a 100 series class. That's college entry level stuff. It's not surprising really.

They are expecting applicants to be pursuing a degree in music, and to already have some musical background. I bet Ellen has some idea of what they would be expecting.

If I really wanted to go for this, I might be able to get permission from the department head.

OIC - Been many, many moons since I went to college, and didn't pursue music at that level anyway, so I'm pretty ignorant of the admissions requirements. I sure hope ya get permission to audit the class!!

• Members

I bet Ellen has some idea of what they would be expecting.

Good lord, not for an introductory music theory course! I feel like anyone should be able to take that. Maybe they're just trying to weed out people who aren't serious about the class and think of it as an "easy A."

• Members

Good lord, not for an introductory music theory course! I feel like anyone should be able to take that. Maybe they're just trying to weed out people who aren't serious about the class and think of it as an "easy A."

I think you got it. :thu:

It's not like I'm gonna pursue a career in music anyway. :lol:

• Members

I'm sure the audition requirement would be waived since you aren't looking to pursue a music degree and it is an entry level class.

I had to audition at every school I applied to. The audition was basically playing scales and arpeggios on demand. I had prepared two pieces (contrasting styles of course), and a technical etude...

Then there's the dreaded sight reading.

At one school (Lawrence) they made me sight sing. I was told to use the syllable "la" if I wasn't already familliar with sol fege. I'd never even heard of it. In fact, I'd never sung a note in my life. Full disclosure, I couldn't even match a pitch. It really sucks to get into your #1 school, and not get into their music department. Thankfully I didn't botch all my auditions!!!

Also, in case anyone's thinking about actually being a full on music major, you will have to buy a tux. You'll be expected to wear it at most (all) performances. You'll perform enough that rental is not an option.

Archived