A Favour from Guild GAD owners, please!

Glenn F

• Members

Hi there,

I've received the replacement GAD 30R, and it seems to have the same problem as the last one, though it is difficult to tell, as there are a number of rocky frets. Can you please tell me if the grain of your necks are going in the same direction as the grain on the wood block inside? Both of the the 30Rs that I've bought have the grain of the neck and inner block going perpendicular to each other. My luthier says this is a problem.

Thanks!

Glenn

• Members

If I understand you correctly, my GAD50 runs perpendicular to the neck. I'm not sure how to describe it properly but looking in the sound hole it's running left to right, left upper bout to right upper bout. But so does my American made D-25 and my Alvarez Yairi. My Gibson Hummingbird runs up and down (back of guitar to top of guitar).

Are these Mfg. refurbished Guilds Glenn?

• Members

Nope. Brand new. I think my luthier means that the problem occurs if the inner block wasn't cured properly before construction, and started out too dry. It then pulls on the neck, causing the 14th fret bump. I dunno. I am confusticated. Thanks for your observations, though!

Glenn

• Members

I checked both of my Guilds. Both have the grain running at right angles to the neck grain. I can understand the theory your luthier is making, but it hasn''t made any difference in my guitars. The 12er is 30 years old and needs no reset and the JF-30 is #00377 and has no 14th fret hump.

Bob

edit: I should mention why it makes a difference (?). It isn't about curing so much as any wood will give more in the longitudinal direction of the grain and not so much with the grain. After all when wood splits, it splits with the grain not against it.

• Members

Thanks, Bob!

My luthier dropped by today to check it out for me, and said it seemed to be ok. Now, it just needs a fret leveling, and the nut and saddle lowered. I'll get it back next week. I really didn't want to give up on this guitar, because it sounds really nice, and is sure purty. I am really, REALLY impressed by the sound this guitar makes. Crisp and sweet. It fingerpicks articulately, and can get surprisingly loud when strummed, and the tone is distinctive from my other guitars.

Of course, now I want a D-55, but that ain't happening anytime soon. :facepalm:

Cheers,

Glenn

Archived