Robert Plant and Rainer Ptacek Whole Lotta Love

Stackabones

• Members

Looks like he does quite a bit of that frettin' behind the slide.

On the frettin' behind the slide thing. Excuse my ignorance but I know nothing of this technique. I suppose it changes the tuning to a degree. Can it be used to make a minor chord with the slide? Who else does it? Tell me more please.

• Members

Hey, James, that's a good one, too. Love how he uses the looper for a touch of atmosphere & rhythm.

Bill, fretting behind the slide allows you to do some interesting things -- like minor & 7th etc chords and scalar runs. Probably the top cat doing it these days is Sonny Landreth. I recall an issue of Guitar Player years (decades maybe) ago that featured him and that fretting behind the slide thing. When I played more slide, I worked up some of these techniques and for about a year I solely played in Open G using it (in the context of a Grateful Dead band -- so lots of different tunes and keys).

Lap steelers do something like this, too -- but naturally they bend notes rather than fret them. ;)

I went back and listened to Ptacek's version of Johnson's Me And The Devil Blues & compared it the original. To my ears they have that same spookiness, even though both of them have their own thing going on. Then I listened to an acoustic version of Clapton, which I believe is very much like how most blues players today would approach the song (and I think that largely has to do with the incredible influence of Clapton on contemporary blues). I have to admit, as much as I like Clapton, that his version just doesn't have that spooky mojo that Johnson or Ptacek has. It doesn't mean that I don't like it, but it just doesn't put me in the same space as the others.

I wonder what reso Ptacek is using? And what's that pup?

Archived