Inherited an Old Harmony Uke with a stripped friction tuner

• Members

Can I get a new set and maybe use the same old buttons?

Think the Harmony has standard sized holes?

It purchased in late 50s, early 60s, Harmony USA on peg head label.

In very good condition except for this one tuner, played very little, kept in box in closet.

Plastic(bakalite?) fretboard & frets, but no wear.

When I get home w/it Sunday I'll upload sme pics.

• Members

Got the uke home,and with a better screwdriver, got the peg in question tight enough to hold.

But 2 outof the remaining 3 are stuck, too tight to turn, a brief try to loosen set screws, no success.

I think I need to disassemble these tuners and lubricate.

If this works, wont need new tuners.

Will try to seep in some WD40 on the stuck screws and try again.

Any tips on restoration of these kind of tuners?

• Members

Got the uke home,and with a better screwdriver, got the peg in question tight enough to hold.

But 2 outof the remaining 3 are stuck, too tight to turn, a brief try to loosen set screws, no success.

I think I need to disassemble these tuners and lubricate.

If this works, wont need new tuners.

Will try to seep in some WD40 on the stuck screws and try again.

Any tips on restoration of these kind of tuners?

WD40 is a great start...then soak the metal parts in a jar of kerosene for a day or two, to corrode of rust and residual goo. Should work fine, once reassembled.

• Members

New screw? Some of the older ukes use a 2-56 size, which is a little hard to find. New tuners probably Ping, because I think the diameter is a little less, may fit right in. But you may have to increase the diameter still.

t_322.jpg

Ah, that kind of peg. I was assuming a violin-type true friction peg. Apologies.

• Members

Since Harmony ukes are not the same market value as, say, Martin ukes, it is not really an issue replacing all the friction tuners with Gotoh or Ping tuners. Harmony ukes can be good players and sound nice.

That is definitely what I would do. Tuning with friction tuners is a PIA. You can decent sets for cheap on da webz

Archived