Mandolin v. Ohana Tiple

masterbuilt

• Members

What we all consider to be a "good" mandolin isn't likely to be found for less $1000

A few years ago I would have agreed with you, but there are some really nice pac-rim mando's coming out now in the $500 range. The Loar has upped the game, and dropped the pricing floor for hand-carved solid wood instruments that sound and play great. Even Eastman has some sub-$1000 instruments that sound great.

Times are a changing...

• Members

Sorry to be such a crank, Mickey! I honestly didn't think either instrument sounded very good. If someone were giving them to me for doing promo I'm sure I'd feel differently.

James, I plan to record a few tunes on the tiple in my studio. That should produce much better tone than the Flip UltraHD I used on that video.

• Members

I love the sound of that tiple. The mandolin sounds like every other mandolin I've heard - all strings and no projection. I've had guys play super expensive ones for me and I don't hear it.

this is the confusing part to me, a mandolin has its own sound, and this "tiple" is obviously quite different sounding than any mandolin I've heard. Why even "compare" them.

Personally the Mandolin sounds more clear and precise, the "tiple" sounds cluttered and messy to me.

• Members

this is the confusing part to me, a mandolin has its own sound, and this "tiple" is obviously quite different sounding than any mandolin I've heard.
Why even "compare" them.

Traditionally, they compliment one another. :idk:

Ultimately, I think the answer is that Mickey is an Ohana shill running out of ideas for threads about his product.

• Members

Traditionally, they compliment one another.
:idk:

Ultimately, I think the answer is that Mickey is an Ohana shill running out of ideas for threads about his product.

Nope, not an Ohana shill. I am not on their payroll, either.

I have been experimenting with another mandolin. I bought a Kentucky, oval sound-hole, fully graduated and hand-carved top, back, sides. The Mitchell, by comparison, sounds tinny, it's true. As for the tiple, while similar in some regard, it is not a replacement for the mandolin and, in fact, I prefer playing the mandolin to the tiple in many ways. The tiple is a strumming instrument and very full, but the mandolin can be a fine "lead" instrument and is much better for accents. The two instruments are mutually exclusive, in my mind. In fact, they always were different enough to say that one cannot really replace the other, but they are, indeed, complimentary, like James said.

The magazine article will actually say this-- make no mistake.

Meanwhile, I am remembering how much I enjoyed mandolin and really looking forward to recording a lot with this Kentucky. After the first of the year, I'll most likely grab a much better mandolin-- maybe an octave mando. Until then, I am enjoying myself with this one.

Archived