Acoustic into PA or amp?

R Anderson

• Members

What are the reasons to NOT go direct into the PA when playing a small-mid size room?

I find myself finding less and less reason to use my acoustic amp. My acoustic group is 1 acoustic, 1 bass and 3 vocals.

The bass is not going direct at the moment.

Thanks for the insights!

• Members

What are the reasons to NOT go direct into the PA when playing a small-mid size room?

I find myself finding less and less reason to use my acoustic amp. My acoustic group is 1 acoustic, 1 bass and 3 vocals.

The bass is not going direct at the moment.

Thanks for the insights!

I prefer direct into the PA, myself...only use an acoustic amp if I'm working with an obnoxiously loud drummer, in which case I use it as a guitar monitor, and the audience still hears my guitar via the PA.

Since I finally got my subwoofer issues figured out, the bass goes direct, although John often uses an amp as a bass monitor, rather than muddying up the PA's monitor signal with bass moxed in w/ vocals and guitar.

• Members

Reasons:

-I've used a two channel acoustic amp instead of a PA in very small rooms.

-And had to rely on an amp to hear myself when the monitors aren't great.

-One of the guys I play with likes to use the footswitchable chorus in his amp instead of a pedal.

If you've got a good PA, and good monitors and they're being run by a competent soundperson, an amp is redundant. I'd still keep one in the trunk of the car for emergencies.

• Members

I sometimes use my Ultrasound amp, and run the direct line out to the PA. That way, I can shape the tone to my liking and tell the sound guy to just run the PA's EQ flat. The Baggs PADI does essentially the same thing, but it's easier to make adjustments on the amp on a dark stage than fiddling with the tiny PADI knobs on the floor.

Archived