hi, hey is it just me / I've been told (yes) vintage yamaha fretwire verses / med .

cadillacman

• Members

Hi, I've been told its just me , but I've had this Yamaha fx720sca for a couple years , never got much play , I acually went to a Pv dealer the other day , they have Alvarez 000 cut aways , they sounded really full..they had other models too, but what I noticed was the frets felt so easy, or easier than I'm used to on the yamaha fretboard . so in looking up the model RF12CE , last night , I found a site that listed it had Med. fret wire / or Med. frets . o I wouild of course assume thats like a medium jumbo fret of someking , for acoustics ? Now whether its the same or close to my Fender strats frets ? I don;t know . but it seemed like I could just cruise around on the guitar way easier than this red label re-issue , Yamaha , sweet sounding as it is , it feels like I'm pulling teeth to get around on the board . so I stopped by an older fellas I know / owns a shop, acoustic player mainly . He tells me its my imagination , that I'm having to fret harder to get a clean/ clear chord .

So I ask your guy's opinions , what do you think ? I know what I think ..lol..the med. frets are easier to play on ...It bums me out , because I just love the sound & feel of the yammie , except the fretting,,,

So, I'm no acoustic player per say , am I stupid on this one , or am I noticing what I think I am ?

Thanks Kevin...sorry for the book !

• Members

Unless your frets are excessively, severely worn - and I'm talkin' flatter than a road kill here - forget the fret wire and invest in a good setup instead. You won't be sorry - money well spent - because chances are good that your frets aren't the issue.

Yammies are usually very sweet players, albeit some need a tweak or two to reach their fullest potential.

And no, it ain't gonna play like a Strat. No way in hell. It can't. They're very, very different critters.

But if you wanna do bends and things on yer acoustic, have your tech put extra-light strings on it and set it up accordingly. Be sure to communicate with your tech and tell him/her about your playing style, what you want, what your expectations are. The extra-lights probably aren't going to bring out optimal tone, but the playability should ultimately be rather nice and you'll still get some real sweet acoustic tone.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Like string guages, fretwire sizes is only loosely defined. "medium" can mean different things to different builders. The size of fretwire includes it height off the board, width of the fret, size of the tang. In addition, different builders will contour the tops differently. Here is what StewMac sells as 'medium" (there is also a tab for "wide" and "narrow")

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Stewart-MacDonald_Fretwire/Medium_Fretwire.html

Most string manufacturers are pretty consistant with their definitions of "light", "medium" etc, but some (notably DR) use different nomenclature. Again, your best bet is to read the package.

Also, the setup - nut slots, relief and action - as well as intonation can make a huge difference in how a guitar plays and feels, regardless of the frets or the strings. And remember that regardless of the height of the frets, you don't need to press them down with a death grip - all it has to do is stop at the crown of the fret itself.

Archived