Need solution for DeArmond 210 & SBT pickups together with blend, volume & tone

pauly boy

• Members

I have an acoustic dreadnaught (Yamaha FG-335) guitar & I play solo & sometimes with a band. I am using a DeArmond 220 (vintage magnetic) for the sound hole pickup & some sort of internal mic. I know the LR Baggs imix with M1 is available but I want to stick to the components I'm using BUT I would like the same set up.

I would like to keep the same guitar but be able to switch from a more warm, natural tone to a more electric vintage tone (and blend in between). I'd like to be able to do this on the fly & have it all inside the guitar. I go from soft acoustic to louder rhythm & blues music all in a set.

I need to be able to blend or pan between both pickups. I also need it to have an internal preamp. Again all this has to be done inside the guitar as I don't want to carry any more gear. It would be nice to have some sort of EQ to adjust basic lows, mids & highs but this is not mandatory.

work? It is a dual source pickup with tone & volume. Will it work as far as impedance or phase & whatnot (I don't know what those mean - I just know those things are important when dealing with mixing different electrical components!). Can I just wire in a blend wheel easily?

Or any other creative, easy & inexpensive solutions are appreciated!

I hope this all makes sense!

PS I know about the rare earth blend all all the off the shelf solutions. I'm sure they work for most people but I am a bit more particular than most :thu:

• Members

Simplest way is wire a pan/fader into your system, so that you can mix, on the fly, your signals. If you already have a volume and tone control, replace the tone control, unless you use it a lot.

Or, wire your guitar in stereo and use a panning pedal, sending the output of your two p/us signals to either two channels of your PA or into a mono line...this would spare you from having to add holes to your guitar.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ernie-ball-6165-stereo-volume-pan-pedal

• Members

Thanks for your input, Terry! That does seem the logical way to go. Although I'd like to steer away from any pedals or exterior boxes of any kind. Everything must be internal. Preamp, volume/ tone/ blend knobs, etc.

My question is how to do what I want & with what components & how to tie it all together nicely so they play well together. All I have is a soundhole pickup & SBT pickup.

• Members

Thanks for your input, Terry! That does seem the logical way to go. Although I'd like to steer away from any pedals or exterior boxes of any kind. Everything must be internal. Preamp, volume/ tone/ blend knobs, etc.

My question is how to do what I want & with what components & how to tie it all together nicely so they play well together. All I have is a soundhole pickup & SBT pickup.

Both K&K and LR Baggs make internal dual-source preamps.

• Members

Well I see LR Baggs & K&K make a dual source preamp but these are setup for their components. I also decided that I want to use an internal mic with my magnetic.

You guys mention faders and other great options but where do I get these parts? How can I blend an internal mic with my magnetic internally? What's a good mic to use? I'm sort of lost as I will have to create this from scratch.

• Members

Well I see LR Baggs & K&K make a dual source preamp but these are setup for their components. I also decided that I want to use an internal mic with my magnetic.

You guys mention faders and other great options but where do I get these parts? How can I blend an internal mic with my magnetic internally? What's a good mic to use? I'm sort of lost as I will have to create this from scratch.

Frye's Electronics (or your local equivalent) carries these - similar component to what a stereo uses to adjust Right from Left, basically. For that matter, Guitar center could order you one, as well.

A popular mic for this use is this Sony lapel mic, set into a block of hard foam (don't glue it in place, as this uses a battery than has to be changed from time to time) and the block glued to the insde of your guitar's top, mic facing up (to avoid feedback from your monitor):

ECM_CS10_Tie-Clip-Style_Omnidirectional_

http://www.allthingsdigital.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=16

Archived