Washburn fans - solid wood dread $340.

acousticdepot

• Members

I remember several years ago on this forum where many here took advantage of an Alvarez deal where they were discontinuing a model (MD60 I think), and selling them for like $200. I think they were all solid with a cedar top. As I remember they were well received by the folks here. So low price does not necessarily mean POS. However you could be right about this guitar ... I was just letting Washburn fans know about the deal at Zzounds. I personally know nothing about the build quality of this guitar (or any Washburn for that matter).

• Members

I remember several years ago on this forum where many here took advantage of an Alvarez deal where they were discontinuing a model (MD60 I think), and selling them for like $200. I think they were all solid with a cedar top. As I remember they were well received by the folks here. So low price does not necessarily mean POS. However you could be right about this guitar ... I was just letting Washburn fans know about the deal at Zzounds. I personally know nothing about the build quality of this guitar (or any Washburn for that matter).

Yep, the online dealers were selling the Alvarez Masterworks MD-60 and MD-80 at close out prices and quite a few members here bought them. I bought the MD-80, Englemann spruce and Mahogany, all solid woods, WITH a very nice case. Final cost was $239.98!! Before they started blowing them out, the price on these guitars was up in the $700 range with an MSRP of over $1000! So......hard deal to turn down.

I don't know if Washburn is closing out that particular model or not, but just because it's a low price doesn't mean it's not a very nice guitar.

• Members

Another time, they were selling a special model Washburn @ MF for a similar price, and I got a guitar that was a total wreck, it was messed up, strings rusted, headstock broken. i missed the Alvarez sale, but I am not a fan of cedar tops. They were selling MD80s for 499, which is still a bit expensive, but I heard they were like new, and that guitar is a beauty. Plus a real player, They cost 899 new, I like my 250 dollar Alvarez. I have been playing Alvarez since 1999, and I love them. The one I have now is 5 years old and playing sweet, Today is a good time to get a good quality guitar for under 500.

Alvarez just changed their model line again and They have stopped making any solid top guitars in the regency line. But they a cheaper artist series solid top. Their best guitars are the Yairis, which are made in Japan, by a different company,

I got to play a Walden natura series this year, and it was nice!! It was like a 00 size with a built in piezo and preamp, very nice instrument. I know that most of you guys have multiple Martins or Taylors. I would love to have a solid wood American made guitar some day, but you have to be happy with what you have.

• Members

Owned LOTS of Washburns at one time......in case you couldn't tell. Both guitars and mandos. They were all good instruments but, I had to thin the herd to make room for more.

The only one I kept was my D10sce. Great all around guitar.

Since the sale to the Canadian company, my few encounters with the new Washburns seem to indicate that in order to reduce prices, they've sacrificed some quality along the way on some of the lower end and mid range models.

Can't speak for the upper end guitars though except for ones that I've owned previous to the change in ownership.

• Members

The assistant pastor at the church I attend has a Washburn dread and it sounds absolutely wonderful. I was so enamored by it last Sunday, that I took a look inside the sound hole. It said it was a "Cherokee" model handcrafted in the USA. I've never heard of that model Washburn before.

• Members

I played a friends D10ce once at the open mic I used to run. I liked it a lot. I very nearly pulled the trigger on a D10... But they changed the line at that time to the latest spec, which as someone above (or below if this has now gone to 2 pages) said aren't as good.

• Members

That Washburn for 340 is a real beauty, it looks like an Alvarez MD-80. All of Washburn's American guitars are great!! I didn't mean to be that anti Washburn, it was the guitar I got burnt by on MF. I had a friend who had a great one.

Archived