Anybody remember the Fender acoustic with the strat style head stock?

KATMAN

• Members

This is where those Fender acoustics started from:

2928_003a.jpg

Bigsby/Gibson Custom SJ-200 Model Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1949), made in Kalamazoo, Michigan, serial # A-3726, natural top, sunburst back and sides finish, maple back, sides and neck, spruce top.

The signature instrument of one of country music's most legendary stars, this custom SJ-200 is perhaps the most striking and distinctive flat tops in American guitar history. Built by Gibson in late 1949, it was acquired by rising music star William Orville "Lefty" Frizzell in early 1951. Lefty soon had it customized and rebuilt by innovator Paul Bigsby. Today, many consider this guitar to be the Holy Grail of honky tonk music

Lefty Frizzell is undisputedly one of the most influential artists in country music. Echoes of his unique plaintive vocal style are still heard in many singers today, more than 30 years after his death. Along with Hank Williams Frizzell defined the post WW II Honky-Tonk sound; his singing and song writing set the standards of the genre and had a major impact on Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Dwight Yoakam among many others. The Frizzell style was sincere, intimate and haunting. He added slurs, twists and curves to his vocal lines that were previously unheard. Lefty was an original in more than his sound - he was an early exponent of the flashy stage outfits of the 1950

• Members

I always thought they looked cool, very rock n roll. Soundwise, the one or two old ones I've played ranged form average to crap.
Not something I'd take to a serious bluegrass session, but a cool look if you played old country or rock and were plugging in anyway.
When the new one came out I was keen to try them. I've played several Sonorans(the larger dred model), and they play nice and have decent electronics, but the acoustic sound was just average, kinda thin, a whole lot better unplugged sounding guitars available for the same price.
DV016_Jpg_Large_H78859.002_lake_placid_b
Then I tried a Malibu, same deal except a small body, and was pleasantly surprised. Pretty decent acoustic sound for a lam small acoustic. I'd like to have one.
DV019_Jpg_Regular_H78860.002_3_color_sun
What I really want to try is the Kingman, dred sized like the Sonoran, but a little more expensive. But I havn't seen one in any dealers around here.
DV016_Jpg_Large_H78865.002_natural_R.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall

View Post

This is where those Fender acoustics started from:...In the late 1940's and early '50's number of country music greats including Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, Hank Garland, Grady Martin, Joe Maphis, Speedy West, Billy Byrd, Hank Thompson, and Tiny Moore had instruments built or modified by Paul A. Bigsby. "P.A.", as he was known, worked alone so each of his creations is handcrafted and unique, making authentic Bigsbys extremely rare. Paul Bigsby is an important figure in 20th Century guitar history, contributing heavily to the development of the electric guitar and the pedal steel. He built solid-body guitars before Leo Fender but was not interested in commercializing them to any large extent. Instead, the vibrato unit he designed for Merle Travis became widely popular as an add-on accessory in the 1950

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
Terry - Yes!! Paul Bigsby and Merle Travis certainly deserve a nod here. Travis' 1941 D28 with the Bigsby neck is one of the most iconic guitars of all time. Although the body is a Martin, the neck mod was all Bigsby. Check out the price it went for at Christie's auction when Travis' son Thom Bresh sold it. Holy cow! According to Travis, Leo Fender borrowed the solid body electric Bigsby built for him for a while in 1949. The rest is history. Whether true or not, Travis took credit for the six on a side design challenge to Paul B. The story also goes that Paul used a valve spring from a Harley to make a tremolo/vibrato for Travis' electric. The Bigsby electric is one ugly guitar, but very significant.
Ugly? Au contraire, mon frer! icon_lol.gif:

MerleTravis1.jpg
merle-travis-bigsby.jpg
BigsbyGuitar1953.jpg

Spiffy!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall

View Post

OK, if anyone ever gives you one, let me know...I find something to swap ya for it. tongue.gif

Any guitar someone gives to me is a beautiful guitar! Speaking of swapping, I am in the midst of a swap with a friend right now and it is the first time in my life I have ever swapped guitars with someone and I have owned guitars since the late 50's. I have bought and sold a bunch, but never a swap. I kind of like the idea. I get to see and play it, but I also get a different guitar in the process.

Archived