Dreadnaught / 13 gauge strings

racoustic

• Members

Man! I am in love with my taylor!!! It's a 710 - dreadnaught and lately I have been using 13 gauage strings (Elixir Nanoweb). This baby really sings beautiful music when tuned down one full step. really boomy base and  super-crisp high notes. love the combination, especially for strumming or flatpicing. I am in love , again :)

• Members

racoustic wrote:

Man! I am in love with my taylor!!! It's a 710 - dreadnaught and lately I have been using 13 gauage strings (Elixir Nanoweb). This baby really sings beautiful music when tuned down one full step. really boomy base and  super-crisp high notes. love the combination, especially for strumming or flatpicing. I am in love , again
:)

Mediums (13's) are the most common gauge strings for a dread tuned to concert and that is what your 710 would have shipped with (and what the bracing and warranty were designed around).    Tuning down one full step (two semi tones would significantly reduce the tension and on a guitar like a Taylor (which typically has a pretty low action and relief) you may compromise playability - you may need to tweak those things slightly or go to an even heavier string set.   You can see from this that at concert mediums have approximately 189 pounds of tension, at D they are at 150

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/5339/String-Tension#.Ue7FMBTn-1s

However, if you like the feel, don't have any buzzing or playing issues, more power to you and your Taylor.

Archived