New PRS SE vs Older Taylor 314 (GA3)

datru

• Members

I've been trying to decide whether to get a new PRS Angelus SE Custom or an older Taylor 314 (non-cutaway, later renamed to GA3).  Neither has electronics.

I've played both and the differences add up to a bunch of confusion for me.  Kind of prefer the playability, cut-away and looks of the PRS, but only a little more so.  The Taylor had a slight advantage in tone, but that could be strings or the fact that the older guitar is played in a bit.  Having sold guitars in the past, I've come to realize that resale is important - I've profited or broke even on a number of guitars - but I'm not sure which has the edge there..

Taylor is American made, PRS is Chinese.  PRS is solid rosewood back and sides, Taylor is Sapele (I think solid too).  Tops are Sitka. An older Taylor, specifically 1999, is about 150 bucks cheaper than the new PRS.  It's nice to save money, but that's not so much that it makes the decision for me.  

The PRS is a new enough model that finding them used is not going to be easy, so I'm ruling out the option of a used PRS.

So, just to confuse myself further, I thought I'd ask your opinions.

PRS specs

• Members

I know just enough here to be dangerous.  First, I owned an early 314 and thought it was a nice little guitar but I never truely bonded with it,     Yes, solid sapele, which is a mahogany type of tone wood, spruce top, 1-3/4 nut.    Mine had the early bolt on neck, the NT joint is slightly easier to reset when that day comes.    If you do look at electronics, the later ES was much better than the first gen, but most of those were updated under warranty.   There will always be a market for Taylors and they hold their value well (in part because of the neck joint).

I haven't had the pleasure of playing any of the Paul Reed Smith acoustics, but they kind of intrege me.   On his domestic models he uses a combination of fan braces inside the X, I don't know about the imports.   The specs that you linked say mahogany back and sides, but I think the rosewood is an option.    There are too few PRS's on the market to know about resale - obviously the electrical guitars are desirable but the acoustics are kind of off the radar - I would think it would be hard to sell.

In a case like this I think you just have to play them and decide - if you think the PRS has dead strings throw a new set on.  Which ever one you choose, tell us about the decision process (and give us pics and clips).

• Members

Thanks Freeman.

The Angelus SE Custom is solid Rosewood back and sides with ebony board, the standard is Mahogany with rosewood.  The bracing they call "PRS X-brace/classical hybrid" but I have no idea what that means.

The problem with the "play them approach" is that I can always wait for the next used 314 or the next new PRS to try.  Ultimately, one never knows for sure, you just have to say "this one is good enough."  There might always be a better one!  (Of course, I will play the ones that come along.)

I love the idea of buying used on principle, but I think it will have a lot to do with how tired I get of looking!  :smileywink:

EDIT: the sides are laminate, I think.  They only specify the back as "solid."

Archived