Takamine AN46?

datru

• Members

I'm going to go look at a used Takamine AN46 this weekend.  I can't seem to find anythng on the net about this guitar.  I know it's solid rosewood back and sides, spruce top, NEX shape.  Does anyone have experience with this model?

Not sure of the year, but I'm assuming it's 8 - 10 years old.  Anything I shold be on the lookout for?  Are they prone to bridge lifting or something?

I've been looking at used Taylor 314's - how does this stack up?

Thanks.

• Members

I don't know anything about that particular model, but I do know a little about what to look for in a used guitar.   At 8-10 years you could start to see some neck angle changes - always take a 24 inch straight edge with you and check that.   You can also lay it across the lower bout below the bridge to see if the top has shrunk - a sign of dryness (I also run my fingers along the fret ends to check that).   Bridge lifting for sure - can you slide a piece of paper or better yet, a feeler guage in anywhere around the bridge.    You can judge the action - if it is not to your satisfaction can it be changed to suit your playing style (I always assume that any guitar will need to be set to the way I want it).     The normal wear and tear items - usually that just indicates that the guitar has been loved and played.

Some of those things aren't necessarily a deal breaker because I know that I can fix them (or I know what it will cost to have them fixed) - that can be a negotiating point with the seller.  For example, a guitar that has high action and needs a reset the owner is probably aware of - I know it will cost 300 or more so I take 200 off the price.   On the other hand, if the angle was perfect and would last another dozen years I would be more inclined to pay a higher price.

A 314 is a good comparison - if it happened to need a reset it is very easy - might cost you a hundred bucks.   If it was the orignal owner the work would be under warranty - I'd give them a check and ask that they have the work done before transfering to me.

Good luck with your shopping - sorry I can't help with that particular Tak

Archived