Taylor 414 vs Larrivee L03R

Moonlight Blue

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I do not see anyone referencing the difference in the construction, tone woods or style of the instruments. There is more to it than just opinions. The Larrivee is a Canadian Spruce and Rosewood combination while the Taylor 414 is Sitka Spruce and Ovangkol. Both use ebony for the fretboard and bridge, however the bridge of the 414 is much more substantial. Both list a Tusc nut and saddle, however the Larrivee claims theirs is from Graphtec.  I think the key to the improved sound of the Taylor 414 over the Larrivee lies in the Ovangkol tone woods used. The increased mid range from this wood and the Grand Auditorium style make for a more balanced instrument. Clearly, the increased price is occasioned by the finer tone woods in this comparison.  Also, there is a video on YT that is indicative of the difference.....while the 414 is crisp, balanced and responsive to force and delicacy, the Larrivee responds muddily to force and fades away when delicately picked or strummed, clearly unable to compete with the sheer volume and presence of the Taylor. As usual, you get what you pay for.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I know this is old but I thought I would answer anyway. I had a Taylor 414ce (Ovangkol back and sides) and traded it in for a Larrivee L03RE (Rosewood back and sides). I really like my Larrivee and wouldn`t trade it for the world and glad I did the trade...but....the Taylor 414 is and was a beautiful sounding and looking guitar as well as it was really nice to play. I just wanted a guitar with more bottom end and mids. I would not hesitate to buy a Taylor...as a matter of fact, I bought a Taylor GS mini mahogany for traveling and love it! Larrivee rocks!!

• Members

No contest. I'd take the Larivee any day. But I'd want to swap out the bridge pins.

I want Ebony bridge pins. And if Bob Taylor doesn't approve,

he can contact my agent and arrange to pay me money NOT

to use Ebony bridge pins.

If he gives me an 814ce or a T5, I would sign an agreement w/Taylor Inc.never to use Ebony bridge pins -                                                                unless they come from a forest that Bob Taylor has already bought. That would be a win-win for both of us.

(But FWIW, I've heard Ebony bridge pins sound better if they come from forests

Bob Taylor hasn't bought yet. )

Archived